Ocean Springs man 'thankful' after escaping house fire unharmed - WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi

Ocean Springs man 'thankful' after escaping house fire unharmed

(Photo source: WLOX) (Photo source: WLOX)
(Photo source: WLOX) (Photo source: WLOX)
OCEAN SPRINGS, MS (WLOX) -

Flames destroyed the home of an Ocean Springs family just seven days before Thanksgiving. Eric Stovall called the situation confusing, but he said he is thankful no one was hurt in the blaze.

Stovall said flames erupted from his hot water heater around 10 a.m. He said it happened after the gas company changed the meter on his Elliott Place home Wednesday.

“Guy came out and changed the meter yesterday on the house, the gas meter. I came back home today to start a load of clothes, and I turned the washing machine on, and the hot water tank caught on fire,” said Stovall. “Within five minutes, the whole garage was burning. The house was burning. It was just out of control.”

Stovall said he was home alone with the family’s three dogs when the fire spread. His wife was at work, and their three children were at school.

Stovall said he was able to get himself and the pets out unharmed, and for that, he is thankful.

“I’m thankful. I’m thankful, and we are truly blessed.”

Stovall said his family had been in the rental home for only two weeks, and they still had not finished unpacking.

The American Red Cross is assisting the family, and neighbors have also offered to help out.

Copyright 2016 WLOX. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly