SOUTH MISSISSIPPI (WLOX) - Five areas of the shoreline are now safe for swimming. Friday, the Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality lifted its water contact advisories for the following areas:
- Station 11A -- Edgewater Beach in Biloxi -- from Debuys Rd. east to Edgewater Ave.
- Station 12A – Biloxi West Central Beach -- from Travia St. east to Iberville Dr.
- Station 14 – Front Beach in Ocean Springs -- from the Yacht Club east to Jackson Ave.
- Station 15 – Shearwater Beach in Ocean Springs -- from Weeks Bayou east to Ashley Pl.
- Station 19 – Pascagoula Beach West -- from Oliver St. east to Westwood St.
Advisories remain in effect for:
- Station 9 -- Gulfport Harbor Beach -- from 20th Ave. east to Thornton Ave.
- Station 11 -- Gulfport East Beach -- from Tegarden Rd. east to Anniston Ave.
These segments of beach are not closed; however, there may be an increased risk of illness associated with swimming in these areas. When water samples show that levels are safe for human contact, the advisories will be lifted.
More information about the Mississippi Beach Monitoring Program and the status of beach advisories is available at: http://opcgis.deq.state.ms.us/beaches