Popular sago palms can be a deadly danger to pets - WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi

Popular sago palms can be a deadly danger to pets

Weissman spent 48 hours in the ER after eating a sago palm seed. It's still too early to tell, but it's hopeful he will make a full recovery. (Photo source: Karen Abernathy/Facebook) Weissman spent 48 hours in the ER after eating a sago palm seed. It's still too early to tell, but it's hopeful he will make a full recovery. (Photo source: Karen Abernathy/Facebook)
GULFPORT, MS (WLOX) -

Did you know that beautiful sago palm in your landscaping could poison your pet? Many people don't, including our own WLOX News Anchor Karen Abernathy. Over the weekend, her little pup, Weissman, ate some sago palm seeds from a plant in her own yard. Now, he's fighting for his life.

Karen posted a warning to Facebook to help spread the word about the dangers of these plants, which can cause severe liver damage and even death.

While the Sago Palm’s seeds are the most poisonous component, the entire plant is toxic. According to the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center, these are the warning signs that your pet may be suffering from sago palm poisoning: 

  • Vomiting
  • Bloody stools
  • Jaundice
  • Increased thirst
  • Hemorrhagic gastroenteritis
  • Bruising
  • Blood clotting disorders
  • Liver damage or liver failure
  • Death can occur without immediate treatment.

If you think your pet is ill or may have ingested a poisonous substance, call your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at 888-426-4435 immediately.

To read more about which plants are toxic to dog, cats, or horses, visit http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/toxic-and-non-toxic-plants/pet-care/animal-poison-control/toxic-and-non-toxic-plants

Copyright 2016 WLOX. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly