1,200 Friends And Family Gather To Say Goodbye To Moss Point Teen - WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi

04/30/05

1,200 Friends And Family Gather To Say Goodbye To Moss Point Teen

The family and friends of a Moss Point teen who died in an auto accident earlier this week laid 17 year old to rest Saturday.

Aaron Leevan Blackmon was killed when his vehicle flipped over on Interstate 10 in Mobile.

Those who knew Blackmon called it a joy to know him.

Blackmon's funeral had to be held at the Moss Point High School gym because his church couldn't hold all those who wanted to attend.

In all, more than 1,200 of Blackmon's friends and family members came out to say good bye to him.

Many of them wore T-shirts with Aaron Blackmon's face on them.

"Looking at all the people that's shown up, you can see that he was really loved and he will always be loved," says Blackmon's cousin Ashley Watson.

Blackmon's father Elder Larry Blackmon stood by his son's casket comforting those in need of a shoulder to cry on.

Miosha Pharr says being there for others was Aaron's specialty as well.

"If it was a joke, a song or anything he'd just do anything to pick you up," says Pharr. "Anything he could do to help out he was willing to do it."

Those who knew Blackmon say his personality is what made him so special.

"He was laid back, he never argued, never fussed or fight," says friend Chutney Walley.

"When he came around it made the atmosphere real pleasant, he was a very loving person," says classmate Ashley Macklin.

"When he would come in to class he was never angry or nothing," she said.

Not surprisingly, Aaron's death was difficult for his young friends to accept.

"It really hurt," says Pharr.

"It hurt to lose somebody so loving and who did nothing to nobody," says Pharr.

"It was real heartbreaking to lose such a good person and it's hard, but we have to move on," said Walley.

All his friends and family say they will move on because that's what he would have wanted them to do.

By: Josh Ridgdell

  • NEWSMore>>

  • Congressman Palazzo weighs in on transgender ban

    Congressman Palazzo weighs in on transgender ban

    Thursday, July 27 2017 12:13 PM EDT2017-07-27 16:13:04 GMT
    Photo Credit: WDAMPhoto Credit: WDAM

    Mississippi Congressman Steven Palazzo took to Twitter, throwing his support behind President Donald Trump's proposed ban on transgender people from serving in the military.

    More >>

    Mississippi Congressman Steven Palazzo took to Twitter, throwing his support behind President Donald Trump's proposed ban on transgender people from serving in the military.

    More >>
  • PSC: Kemper story nearing the end

    PSC: Kemper story nearing the end

    Thursday, July 27 2017 11:54 AM EDT2017-07-27 15:54:14 GMT
    The view 240 feet above Mississippi Power's 3,000-acre investment gives you a glimpse at what six years and more than $7.5 billion have produced. (Photo source: WLOX)The view 240 feet above Mississippi Power's 3,000-acre investment gives you a glimpse at what six years and more than $7.5 billion have produced. (Photo source: WLOX)

    Mississippi Public Service Commissioner Cecil Brown spoke Thursday morning at the Neshoba County Fair. And a portion of his remarks focused on the Kemper County lignite plant roughly 30 miles from the fairgrounds. "The Kemper story is not over," the commissioner said, "but one way or another it is nearing the end." Brown used part of his speech to explain the latest developments between his agency and Mississippi Power regarding its $7.5 billion plant.

    More >>

    Mississippi Public Service Commissioner Cecil Brown spoke Thursday morning at the Neshoba County Fair. And a portion of his remarks focused on the Kemper County lignite plant roughly 30 miles from the fairgrounds. "The Kemper story is not over," the commissioner said, "but one way or another it is nearing the end." Brown used part of his speech to explain the latest developments between his agency and Mississippi Power regarding its $7.5 billion plant.

    More >>
  • Gaming commission rejects proposal for Biloxi casino site

    Gaming commission rejects proposal for Biloxi casino site

    Thursday, July 27 2017 11:07 AM EDT2017-07-27 15:07:16 GMT
    Mississippi Gaming Commission (Photo source: WLOX)Mississippi Gaming Commission (Photo source: WLOX)

    The Mississippi Gaming Commission has again rejected a casino site proposal from RW Development.

    More >>

    The Mississippi Gaming Commission has again rejected a casino site proposal from RW Development.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly