Fireworks cause Waveland home to burn

Fireworks cause Waveland home to burn
Flames were ripping the house apart by the time firefighters arrived. (Photo source: WLOX News)
Flames were ripping the house apart by the time firefighters arrived. (Photo source: WLOX News)

WAVELAND, MS (WLOX) - Fireworks can make for a fun Fourth of July. But, as one Waveland property owner recently found out, they can also add the potential for danger.

By the time the Waveland Fire Department arrived at a house fire on Bloom Place Saturday night, flames were already tearing it apart.

"When we showed up on the scene, we had heavy flames through the roof. Residents said they were popping fireworks in the backyard and noticed smoke coming from the house," said Lt. Kent Cuevas.

The blaze was officially determined to be caused by fireworks according to the Fire Marshall. Cuevas said it could happen to anyone and it's not just your own home that should concern you.

"Not only can you cause this to your own property, but maybe your neighbor's property or surrounding structures," said Cuevas.

Fortunately everyone made it out of the home safely. But, Cuevas said it's easy for similar situations to blaze out of control.

According to Cuevas, it's best to shoot fireworks in an open space away from roads, power lines, and structures. Most important, regardless of temptation, do not hold ignited fireworks.

When it comes to lighting the burning entertainment, make sure there is no one else nearby; especially youngsters.

Copyright 2016 WLOX. All rights reserved.