NOAA predicts 'near-normal' hurricane season - WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi

NOAA predicts 'near-normal' hurricane season

2016 Atlantic Hurricane Season Outlook. (NOAA) 2016 Atlantic Hurricane Season Outlook. (NOAA)
SOUTH MISSISSIPPI (WLOX) -

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration says hurricane activity in the Atlantic Ocean should be near-normal through the 2016 hurricane season. NOAA released its prediction Friday morning.

The administration gives a 70 percent chance for the development of 10 to 16 named storms, four to eight of which could become hurricanes.

The outlook predicts a 45 percent chance for a near-normal season, a 30 percent chance for above-normal and a 25 percent chance for below-normal.

NOAA said climate signals that influence the formation of storms is making it difficult to predict what will happen this season.

Copyright WLOX 2016. All rights reserved.

  • NEWSMore>>

  • Biloxi physician fights for right to have light for his sign

    Biloxi physician fights for right to have light for his sign

    Sunday, April 22 2018 11:19 PM EDT2018-04-23 03:19:41 GMT
    Dr. Azad Kabir wants to replace this sign with an illuminated LED Reader Board sign. He's appealing the rejection of the Architectural and Historical Review Commission decision to the Biloxi City Council. (Photo Source: WLOX)Dr. Azad Kabir wants to replace this sign with an illuminated LED Reader Board sign. He's appealing the rejection of the Architectural and Historical Review Commission decision to the Biloxi City Council. (Photo Source: WLOX)
    Dr. Azad Kabir wants to replace this sign with an illuminated LED Reader Board sign. He's appealing the rejection of the Architectural and Historical Review Commission decision to the Biloxi City Council.Dr. Azad Kabir wants to replace this sign with an illuminated LED Reader Board sign. He's appealing the rejection of the Architectural and Historical Review Commission decision to the Biloxi City Council.

    Dr. Azad Kabir is ready to fight for his right to promote his business with an illuminated LED sign within Biloxi's historic district. 

    More >>

    Dr. Azad Kabir is ready to fight for his right to promote his business with an illuminated LED sign within Biloxi's historic district. 

    More >>
  • Miley struggles as Shuckers fall to Biscuits 13-3

    Miley struggles as Shuckers fall to Biscuits 13-3

    Sunday, April 22 2018 11:17 PM EDT2018-04-23 03:17:17 GMT
    Shuckers pitcher Wade Miley takes the mound at MGM Park (WLOX Sports)Shuckers pitcher Wade Miley takes the mound at MGM Park (WLOX Sports)
    Shuckers pitcher Wade Miley takes the mound at MGM Park (WLOX Sports)Shuckers pitcher Wade Miley takes the mound at MGM Park (WLOX Sports)

    On a windy day at the ballpark, the Montgomery Biscuits (6-11) smacked four home runs, three against LHP Wade Miley (L, 0-1), as they defeated the Biloxi Shuckers (10-7) 13-3 on Sunday afternoon.

    More >>

    On a windy day at the ballpark, the Montgomery Biscuits (6-11) smacked four home runs, three against LHP Wade Miley (L, 0-1), as they defeated the Biloxi Shuckers (10-7) 13-3 on Sunday afternoon.

    More >>
  • Man held at gunpoint in viral video arrested on DUI, drug charges

    Man held at gunpoint in viral video arrested on DUI, drug charges

    Sunday, April 22 2018 11:08 PM EDT2018-04-23 03:08:06 GMT
    David Achenbach, 30, was arrested and charged with DUI, possession of marijuana, reckless driving, and disorderly conduct. (Photo Source: Jackson County Adult Detention Center)David Achenbach, 30, was arrested and charged with DUI, possession of marijuana, reckless driving, and disorderly conduct. (Photo Source: Jackson County Adult Detention Center)
    David Achenbach, 30, was arrested and charged with DUI, possession of marijuana, reckless driving, and disorderly conduct. (Photo Source: Jackson County Adult Detention Center)David Achenbach, 30, was arrested and charged with DUI, possession of marijuana, reckless driving, and disorderly conduct. (Photo Source: Jackson County Adult Detention Center)
    The man featured in a viral video involving law enforcement in Jackson County is now in police custody on multiple charges.  In the viral clip, a man can be seen standing with his hands up, faced by numerous law enforcement vehicles and officers with their guns drawn. The video has gained more than 30,000 views on Facebook.  He has been identified by the Jackson County Sheriff's Department as 30-year-old David Achenbach, who was arrested and c...More >>
    The man featured in a viral video involving law enforcement in Jackson County is now in police custody on multiple charges.  In the viral clip, a man can be seen standing with his hands up, faced by numerous law enforcement vehicles and officers with their guns drawn. The video has gained more than 30,000 views on Facebook.  He has been identified by the Jackson County Sheriff's Department as 30-year-old David Achenbach, who was arrested and c...More >>
Powered by Frankly