Singing River Mall developer to update plans Tuesday night - WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi

Singing River Mall developer to update plans Tuesday night

Morrison USA is the private developer that invested more than $9.5 million so far at that Singing River Mall location, either buying out stores, or demolishing the mall. (Photo source: WLOX) Morrison USA is the private developer that invested more than $9.5 million so far at that Singing River Mall location, either buying out stores, or demolishing the mall. (Photo source: WLOX)
GAUTIER, MS (WLOX) -

Gautier leaders will get an update on the redevelopment of Singing River Mall at Tuesday's city council meeting. Mayor Gordon Gollott invited representatives from retail developer Morrison USA to give a progress report on plans to build a new shopping center on the Highway 90 property. Gollott said he expects Morrison USA to reaffirm its commitment to Gautier not a grand unveiling of plans.

"They have $9.5 million invested in the site. They're not going away," Gollott said.

When Morrison USA purchased the Singing River Mall property there were three anchor stores: J.C. Penney's, Sears and Belk. Only Belk remains.

The project has had its ups and downs. In 2013 Morrison announced it had reached a deal to bring a Walmart Super Center to the shopping complex. By October 2015, it was clear the Walmart plans had disappeared and no firm commitments from big name retailers have been announced.

Though Gautier leaders had hoped to be holding ribbon cuttings by now, Mayor Gollott said he's optimistic Morrison USA will create a retail gem in Gautier.

"I want to see the mall built and I know Morrison is building with some big retailers. I don't expect them to announce who might come in, but we are confident they'll come to reaffirm their commitment to the project," Gollott said.

The Gautier City Council meeting begins tonight at 6:30 p.m.

Copyright 2016 WLOX. All rights reserved. 

  • NEWSMore>>

  • Jackson Co. man charged with child's death appears in court

    Jackson Co. man charged with child's death appears in court

    Thursday, February 22 2018 1:00 PM EST2018-02-22 18:00:32 GMT
    A man accused of killing his girlfriend's 7-month-old son made his first court appearance Thursday. Michael Harris, 27, is charged with capital murder.  (Photo source: WLOX)A man accused of killing his girlfriend's 7-month-old son made his first court appearance Thursday. Michael Harris, 27, is charged with capital murder. (Photo source: WLOX)
    A man accused of killing his girlfriend's 7-month-old son made his first court appearance Thursday. Michael Harris, 27, is charged with capital murder.  (Photo source: WLOX)A man accused of killing his girlfriend's 7-month-old son made his first court appearance Thursday. Michael Harris, 27, is charged with capital murder. (Photo source: WLOX)

    A man accused of killing his girlfriend's 7-month-old son made his first court appearance Thursday. Michael Harris, 27, was charged with capital murder Thursday after Tanner Cowart died at USA Medical Center in Mobile.

    More >>

    A man accused of killing his girlfriend's 7-month-old son made his first court appearance Thursday. Michael Harris, 27, was charged with capital murder Thursday after Tanner Cowart died at USA Medical Center in Mobile.

    More >>
  • Stone Middle School student charged with cyberstalking

    Stone Middle School student charged with cyberstalking

    Thursday, February 22 2018 11:17 AM EST2018-02-22 16:17:12 GMT

    A 15-year-old student at Stone Middle School will be charged with cyberstalking in connection with a threat on social media. And the district attorney is considering whether to charge him as an adult. 

    More >>

    A 15-year-old student at Stone Middle School will be charged with cyberstalking in connection with a threat on social media. And the district attorney is considering whether to charge him as an adult. 

    More >>
  • Hancock County officials investigating middle school threat

    Hancock County officials investigating middle school threat

    Thursday, February 22 2018 11:16 AM EST2018-02-22 16:16:03 GMT
    School leaders in Hancock County say they've identified the student who made the threat, taken the child into custody for questioning and say no weapon was ever found.  (Photo source: WLOX)School leaders in Hancock County say they've identified the student who made the threat, taken the child into custody for questioning and say no weapon was ever found.  (Photo source: WLOX)

    School leaders in Hancock County are investigating a threat of a school shooting at Hancock Middle School. So far they've identified the student who made the threat, taken the child into custody for questioning and say no weapon was ever found. 

    More >>

    School leaders in Hancock County are investigating a threat of a school shooting at Hancock Middle School. So far they've identified the student who made the threat, taken the child into custody for questioning and say no weapon was ever found. 

    More >>
Powered by Frankly