PEARL RIVER COUNTY, MS (WLOX) - A devastating fire left a Pearl River County home in ruins.
Crews from both Pearl River and Hancock County worked the blaze, most of them volunteers. They responded to the home off Shawtown Road around 9:00 a.m. Sunday.
Tony Bounds, the Public Information Officer for Pearl River County Emergency Management, said the homeowner and her fiancé were at home when they smelled propane gas. They immediately left the house. She told the deputy as she left, she saw fire coming from the stove.
As the couple was running across the property to her father's home next door, they heard an explosion. As they dialed 911, they heard a second explosion.
The woman and man escaped without injury, but the home is destroyed.
Bounds said the home was a wood frame house with vinyl siding raised on cinderblocks, which allowed for wind to sweep under and spread the fire more quickly.
The home is completely surrounded by woods, which also posed some hazards for the emergency crews.
They had to bring a water tanker in from the Post 58 Fire Department because there aren't any hydrants in the area.
Five fire departments from all over Pearl River County and Leetown in Hancock County responded.