Pearl River County flood victims survey damage - WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi

Pearl River County flood victims survey damage

Kellar says he does not have flood insurance. (Photo source: WLOX News) Kellar says he does not have flood insurance. (Photo source: WLOX News)
PEARL, MS (WLOX) -

Some victims from weekend floods in Pearl River County recently began the arduous task of picking up the pieces and pulling their lives back together.

Others, like Jerry Kellar, surveyed damage for the first time on Wednesday. 
 
It was the first day Kellar could return to his home in the Walkiah Bluff community. He left Saturday when the Pearl River started to rise.

When he opened the door to his mobile home, Kellar was surprised at what he saw - only one large water stain on the floor in the hallway; which is raised about 4 feet with bricks and concrete blocks.

The insulation below the mobile home was soaking wet. Kellar's biggest fear now is that the floors will buckle and he'll have to come out of his pockets to pay for the repairs. Kellar doesn't have flood insurance, and is currently out of work. 

Pearl River County Emergency Management Director Danny Manley told WLOX News Now so far the damage assessment stands at 87 homes were affected by the flood waters; 44 heavily damaged or destroyed .

The EOC director says he expects those numbers to rise in the coming days as his damage assessment teams are able to get to low lying areas they haven't been able to get too due to high waters.

Copyright 2016 WLOX. All rights reserved.

  • NEWSMore>>

  • Jackson Co. man charged with child's death appears in court

    Jackson Co. man charged with child's death appears in court

    Thursday, February 22 2018 1:00 PM EST2018-02-22 18:00:32 GMT
    A man accused of killing his girlfriend's 7-month-old son made his first court appearance Thursday. Michael Harris, 27, is charged with capital murder.  (Photo source: WLOX)A man accused of killing his girlfriend's 7-month-old son made his first court appearance Thursday. Michael Harris, 27, is charged with capital murder. (Photo source: WLOX)
    A man accused of killing his girlfriend's 7-month-old son made his first court appearance Thursday. Michael Harris, 27, is charged with capital murder.  (Photo source: WLOX)A man accused of killing his girlfriend's 7-month-old son made his first court appearance Thursday. Michael Harris, 27, is charged with capital murder. (Photo source: WLOX)

    A man accused of killing his girlfriend's 7-month-old son made his first court appearance Thursday. Michael Harris, 27, was charged with capital murder Thursday after Tanner Cowart died at USA Medical Center in Mobile.

    More >>

    A man accused of killing his girlfriend's 7-month-old son made his first court appearance Thursday. Michael Harris, 27, was charged with capital murder Thursday after Tanner Cowart died at USA Medical Center in Mobile.

    More >>
  • Stone Middle School student charged with cyberstalking

    Stone Middle School student charged with cyberstalking

    Thursday, February 22 2018 11:17 AM EST2018-02-22 16:17:12 GMT

    A 15-year-old student at Stone Middle School will be charged with cyberstalking in connection with a threat on social media. And the district attorney is considering whether to charge him as an adult. 

    More >>

    A 15-year-old student at Stone Middle School will be charged with cyberstalking in connection with a threat on social media. And the district attorney is considering whether to charge him as an adult. 

    More >>
  • Hancock County officials investigating middle school threat

    Hancock County officials investigating middle school threat

    Thursday, February 22 2018 11:16 AM EST2018-02-22 16:16:03 GMT
    School leaders in Hancock County say they've identified the student who made the threat, taken the child into custody for questioning and say no weapon was ever found.  (Photo source: WLOX)School leaders in Hancock County say they've identified the student who made the threat, taken the child into custody for questioning and say no weapon was ever found.  (Photo source: WLOX)

    School leaders in Hancock County are investigating a threat of a school shooting at Hancock Middle School. So far they've identified the student who made the threat, taken the child into custody for questioning and say no weapon was ever found. 

    More >>

    School leaders in Hancock County are investigating a threat of a school shooting at Hancock Middle School. So far they've identified the student who made the threat, taken the child into custody for questioning and say no weapon was ever found. 

    More >>
Powered by Frankly