Couple Finds Disgusting Surprise In Cereal - WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi

03/29/05

Couple Finds Disgusting Surprise In Cereal

An Ocean Springs couple found something extra inside their box of Kellogg's Raisin Bran. But it wasn't a surprise trinket or toy. What they discovered caused them to quickly lose their appetite.

"I opened up the box and poured myself a big bowl of Kellogg's Raisin Bran," said Jeff Dux, as he described the surprise he found January 30th.

"My wife Jackie had a bowl, and she came out to the patio. A couple of minutes later, she came in and said there's bugs floating in my cereal," he explained.

By the time his wife warned him, it was too late. Dux had already eaten his bowl of cereal.

"Then we took the box of cereal out, brought it out on the patio in the sunlight and started to lay it out. And that's when we found: bugs, larvae, pupae, the four stages of the cycle," he said.

The couple filed a complaint with Kellogg's. They exchanged letters and sent the suspect box to the company.

The Dux's also kept some of the evidence for themselves. Kellogg's denied the couple's request for a thousand dollars compensation.

"They did tell us that was denied. That's fine with Jackie and I. We're not in it for that. We're looking for them to pursue it, to be able to make it known to the public," Dux said.

A spokesman for Kellogg's calls this case an isolated incident. Jenny Enochson told WLOX News they have not received any similar complaints recently.

She also said they take such complaints very seriously, and based upon the company's internal investigation, Kellogg's does not believe the bugs got into the cereal at its cereal plant. She added, they contacted the store and had the store check the cereal boxes on its shelves.

"They strictly want this low profile. And they'd have been happy if they'd never heard from us, I'm sure," said Jackie Dux.

The couple says public awareness is what they're after most, ensuring that others don't find a similar surprise in their bowl of Raisin Bran.

By Steve Phillips 

  • Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

  • Deadly virus threatens local crawfish industry

    Deadly virus threatens local crawfish industry

    Tuesday, May 23 2017 7:26 PM EDT2017-05-23 23:26:19 GMT

    A deadly virus is threatening the crawfish industry in Southwest Louisiana. It's called white spot syndrome virus and it was first discovered in Thailand, but somehow it made its way to ponds in South Louisiana and specialists are struggling to find the funds to research a solution.  “The catch was increasing and increasing and then it dropped 70% and that's when you saw the dead crawfish floating in the water,” said a crawfish farmer of 34 years, Ian Garbarino. He...

    More >>

    A deadly virus is threatening the crawfish industry in Southwest Louisiana. It's called white spot syndrome virus and it was first discovered in Thailand, but somehow it made its way to ponds in South Louisiana and specialists are struggling to find the funds to research a solution.  “The catch was increasing and increasing and then it dropped 70% and that's when you saw the dead crawfish floating in the water,” said a crawfish farmer of 34 years, Ian Garbarino. He...

    More >>
Powered by Frankly