JACKSON COUNTY, MS (WLOX) - Sawyer Beddingfield has been a bundle of surprises from the moment she was born.
"My water bag broke 16 days before I was supposed to have her, so she came a little early," said Sawyer's mom, Meghan Beddingfield.
But at just eight days old, the Jackson County infant gave her family quite a scare. Her mom had just finished feeding her and placed her in a bassinet, when older sister Dakota heard Sawyer crying.
"I went to see what was wrong and I seen her choking," said Dakota Brown.
Dakota ran to tell her parents.
"It was horrible. She was crying and struggling to breathe. I was scared and didn't know what to do," said Larry Beddingfield.
Larry grabbed a suction bulb and tried to remove the formula and mucus from the baby's mouth and nose.
"She was blue and purple and unresponsive," said Meghan.
Eleven-year-old sister Kylie dialed 911, then ran outside with Dakota to flag down Deputies Nathan Fisher and Chris Pitalo, who happened to be in the Jackson County Sheriff's substation in St. Martin when the call came in.
"I don't think I've ever driven that fast," said Fisher. "I take the baby and I put her in my arm. I start patting her back to try and get her to respond and then I hit the bottom of her feet and I get a cry from her."
Meanwhile, Deputy Pitalo kept using the suction bulb on the baby until paramedics arrived.
"It would cry and its eyes would roll back again," said Pitalo.
"It's tragic. It's hard and it's the scariest thing not knowing if you're going to bring your baby back home or not," said Meghan Beddingfield.
Sawyer is finally home, healthy and happy.
"I just want to thank them," said Larry, as tears filled his eyes.
On Wednesday, the grateful family and the officers saw each other for the first time since that frightening day in a touching reunion.
"Glad that we were there," Fisher told them.
Sawyer's cries are now such a blessing. After all, the family came so close to losing their precious newborn.
"I call my whole family, and those officers, heroes. They kept my baby alive," said Meghan.
The deputies encourage every parent to take an infant CPR course, and they also credit the entire family for the roles they played during the emergency.