GULFPORT, MS (WLOX) - Those who knew and loved the 82-year-old woman killed in a Gulfport house fire, gathered for a candlelight vigil in front of the very house where she took her final breath.
"We can move forward knowing that Ms. Lil lived her life to the fullest, to the fullest. We know God makes no mistakes at all," said a friend.
Her home on 41st Avenue went up in flames almost a week ago in the wee hours of the morning. She wasn't able to make it out, and the coroner still hasn't released her identification. But those who knew her, called her Ms. Lil.
"I feel as though I lost a sister that I can never regain, but I also feel as though I got a sister in my heart that I'll never forget," said a co-worker.
Those who knew her best say the 82-year-old was full of life, even in her old age. She was a dedicated employee of the Courtyard Marriott in Gulfport, where co-workers say she always lifted them up.
"I was going to leave and Ms. Lil told me, 'No, boo.' She said, 'Don't let nobody run you away from your job.' For that, I've been with the Marriott down there following Holiday Inn for 16 years," said a longtime colleague.
Colleagues describe her as a woman of God, and an inspiration to all, but say she had a sense of humor too.
"She was like the grandmother that I lost. So it's like now it's kind of empty in there, nobody cussing you out in the morning or anything, but we work together as a team to remind each other of her so she will be truly missed," said another co-worker.
Many tears were shed, and even more kind words were shared about the lady they say will be missed dearly.
"What God has done, has picked a flower for his wonderful wonderful garden to make it shine," said a friend.
Gulfport Fire Inspector Tim Regan said the investigation revealed that the fire started in an outlet due to some type of electrical short in extension cords.