Gulfport house fire caused by malfunctioning Christmas decoratio - WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi

Gulfport house fire caused by malfunctioning Christmas decorations

(Photo source: WLOX) (Photo source: WLOX)
(Photo source: WLOX) (Photo source: WLOX)
(Photo source: Mike Beyerstedt) (Photo source: Mike Beyerstedt)
(Photo source: Mike Beyerstedt) (Photo source: Mike Beyerstedt)
(Photo source: Mike Beyerstedt) (Photo source: Mike Beyerstedt)
GULFPORT, MS (WLOX) -

A Gulfport woman is counting her blessings after firefighters were able to pull her and her dog to safety when their home burst into flames Thursday afternoon.

Officials tell us the fire broke out around 3:40 p.m. at a home in the 2600 block of Gulf Avenue.

According to Gulfport Fire Chief Mike Beyerstedt, a woman was trapped inside the burning building, but fast acting firefighters were able to rescue her from the flames.

He said they have determined the cause of the fire was malfunctioning Christmas decorations. The decorations caught on fire and spread to other furnishings and throughout the house.

The fire caused heavy damage to the home. Flames spread to the carport area where two vehicles and a camper were also damaged.

Officials tell us the home belongs to a Gulfport police officer who was on duty when the fire broke out.

Copyright 2015 WLOX. All rights reserved. 

Powered by Frankly