(WLOX) - The most formidable years for children are between birth and age five.
As many people look forward to the new year, it's the perfect time to start planning ways to help your child grow up happy, healthy, and ready to learn in 2016.
Here are a few ideas from the experts:
- Eat healthier. This is something many of us say we want to do in the new year anyway, so make sure to include baby in your plan and prepare meals packed with nutrients and not fat.
- Read more. Set time aside each day to read with your children. No matter what reading level they're on, they'll enjoy spending time with you and benefit from the experience.
- Plan more outings. Life is about experiences, and your child can learn so much from spending an afternoon at a park or zoo. Even a trip to the grocery store can be educational.
- Make time for family. It's never too early to start a "family night" tradition. It's important to enjoy spending quality time together; grandparents can get involved, too!
- Positive feedback can go a long way. Limit raising your voice, and concentrate on celebrating even the smallest of achievements.
These simple steps can truly make a world of difference for you and your children. May you and your family have a very Merry Christmas and the happiest of new years!