D'IBERVILLE, MS (WLOX) - What started as a small fire set by a property owner to clear some land quickly got out of hand Friday afternoon on Racetrack Road in D'Iberville.
Fire Chief Gerald Smith said a camper trailer was destroyed when a burn pile, left unattended, spread to the camper.
Smith said this fire is a perfect example of just how fast fire can spread right now.
The beautiful weather with low humidity is perfect fire conditions. Fire officials across the region are on high alert and urging people not to burn anything right now.
There are no official burn bans in place, but Smith said his department is not issuing any burn permits right now.
According to Smith, the property owner did not have a permit to burn, but was not issued a citation.
Smith said many people don't realize they need a permit to burn, so he works to educate them on the process and the dangers of burning.