St. Martin man suffers 3rd degree burns helping family escape fr - WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi

St. Martin man suffers 3rd degree burns helping family escape from fire

Homeowner Angie Casey said she owes it to the quick response and bravery of her daughter's boyfriend, Shane Blake, who got them out. (Photo source: WLOX) Homeowner Angie Casey said she owes it to the quick response and bravery of her daughter's boyfriend, Shane Blake, who got them out. (Photo source: WLOX)
"That's how he got the burns," Casey said. "He was coming downstairs to get to us because the baby was sleeping with me. So he had to go back upstairs, and him and my daughter had to go through the window and jump off the roof." (Photo source: WLOX) "That's how he got the burns," Casey said. "He was coming downstairs to get to us because the baby was sleeping with me. So he had to go back upstairs, and him and my daughter had to go through the window and jump off the roof." (Photo source: WLOX)
ST. MARTIN, MS (WLOX) -

Some St. Martin family members are hugging each other a little tighter and loving a little stronger after escaping a house fire early Friday morning.

The family's peaceful night of sleep came to an abrupt end when they woke to a house full of smoke and flames.

"We were all sleeping and his dad smelled smoke and he went down to go downstairs and I guess it had caught fire in the garage," homeowner Angie Casey explained.

Casey lived in the two story home with her son, daughter, her daughter's boyfriend, and the couple's four month old son. Casey said she owes it to the quick response and bravery of her daughter's boyfriend, Shane Blake, who got them out.

"We're just happy that everyone got out alive," she said with relief.

Casey said Blake had to be airlifted to USA Medical Center in Mobile, Alabama to be treated for third degree burns after making the daring escape.

"That's how he got the burns," she said. "He was coming downstairs to get to us because the baby was sleeping with me. So he had to go back upstairs, and him and my daughter had to go through the window and jump off the roof."

While the family made it out, fire officials did what they could to save the home, which was passed down to Casey from her parents. But Jackson County Fire Chief Jeremey Bell said because of the age and structure of the home, it took nearly six hours to hose things down.

"No fire is ever the same," Jackson County Fire Chief Jeremey Bell said. "We always expect the worse and hope for the least. It seemed like every aspect was hard to get to. We were dealing with heavy objects on top of the roof that were caving in, so we couldn't go underneath for safety reasons."

Although everything is lost, Casey said she finds comfort in knowing she's surrounded by family.

"My whole family lives on this street. I have two aunts that live here, they've been neighbors since we've been living here, so it's all family. I just, I'm still in shock," she said as tears ran down her cheeks. "You know, I have nothing. Everything, all of our memories are gone."

With the hope of life, Casey said her family will find some way to pick themselves up and go forward.

If you'd like, you can help this family in their recovery efforts. To make a donation, visit Bluff Creek Outfitters. The owner of the Vancleave store has offered to be a drop off location for donations for the family.

Copyright 2015 WLOX. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly