Joel's Blog: A look back at my time at WLOX - WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi

Joel's Blog: A look back at my time at WLOX

SOUTH MISSISSIPPI (WLOX) - When I broke this news to Carrie, her response was golden. She said, “If you ever want to give God a good laugh, tell him your plans.”

When I first came to South Mississippi two years ago, I wanted to stay. It's a beautiful place. The people are amazing. The food is phenomenal. Plus, you can't beat living on the water. Why would anyone NOT want to live here?

Over the past two years, I've enjoyed being near family and friends. It's much closer to home than South Dakota, where I spent my first year out of college. But, finding the time to spend with family and friends was much more difficult as long as I was working weekends.

Even before I graduated from Mississippi State, I was working weekends at WABG in Greenville. I've missed many football games, family gatherings and friends' weddings over the past six years. While I realize that's inevitable for many in my field, I knew I wanted to find a more stable schedule sooner than later.

About a month ago, that opportunity presented itself. Better yet, it opened up at the television station I grew up watching all my life. Not only would I have my weekends off, but I'd be even closer to my family.

It's tough to leave behind all my friends here at WLOX, but I'm so glad that I will be close enough to make frequent visits to the Coast. There will be weekend events here in South Mississippi I wouldn't have been able to enjoy if I had stayed, so I think this decision gives me the best of both worlds.

Unfortunately, that does mean saying goodbye to everyone who tuned in to my forecasts each day. The past two years have been incredible, and I thank each and every one of you for tuning in and giving me a chance. You've watched me grow from a nervous wreck to who I am today. I'm nowhere near perfect yet, but I've learned so much here at WLOX, and I look forward to taking these new skills to North Mississippi.

If you're following me on Twitter and Facebook, I hope you'll continue to do so. While most of my coverage will be geared more toward North Mississippi, I'll give you guys a shout out from time to time.

If you're ever in my area, be sure to tune in to WTVA News Today! You may just see a familiar face. Also, if you happen to see me out and about one weekend while I'm visiting, feel free to say hello.

South Mississippi will always hold a special place in my heart, and it will always be a home away from home.

Joel

P.S. - In the coming days, my WLOX email address will be deactivated. If you would like to contact me, you may email me at joelyoungwx@gmail.com

Copyright 2015 WLOX. All rights reserved.

• NEWSMore>>

Sand on highway causing unsafe road conditions

Sunday, April 30 2017 11:39 AM EDT2017-04-30 15:39:49 GMT
    A WLOX reporter and photographer help a stranded motorist on Hwy. 90 in Gulfport Sunday morning. (Photo source: Bryan Caldwell)A WLOX reporter and photographer help a stranded motorist on Hwy. 90 in Gulfport Sunday morning. (Photo source: Bryan Caldwell)

Sand on Highway 90 along the beaches of Biloxi and Gulfport are causing traffic concerns for motorists and for police. Shortly after 8:30 a.m., MDOT blocked off Hwy. 90 from the Armed Forces Retirement Home to Debuys Road. Once the weather passes on Monday, they will continue to clean up the highways.

More >>

Tornado watch in effect for South MS until 3 p.m.

Sunday, April 30 2017 11:30 AM EDT2017-04-30 15:30:03 GMT
    A tornado watch is in effect for South Mississippi through 3 p.m. Sunday. (Photo source: NOAA)A tornado watch is in effect for South Mississippi through 3 p.m. Sunday. (Photo source: NOAA)

Severe storms are moving into South Mississippi Sunday morning, causing a tornado watch to be in effect until 3 p.m. The storms are expected to reach the I-59 corridor around noon before moving east in Stone, George, Harrison and Jackson counties.

Twenty NOFD firefighters protest, call for Chief to step down

FOX 8 photoFOX 8 photo

The controversy over the removal of the confederate-era monuments leads to a call for the New Orleans fire chief to step down.

• Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

'The Phantom' serial killer of children out of prison, living in Tucson

Thursday, April 27 2017 12:17 AM EDT2017-04-27 04:17:43 GMT
    Friday, April 28 2017 11:32 PM EDT2017-04-29 03:32:02 GMT
    Convicted killer William Huff was spotted riding his bicycle through a Tucson neighborhood. (Source: 3TV/CBS 5)Convicted killer William Huff was spotted riding his bicycle through a Tucson neighborhood. (Source: 3TV/CBS 5)

William Huff terrorized Sierra Vista during the spring and summer of 1967. Despite a sentence of 40 years to life, the Arizona Board of Executive Clemency voted to release him from prison into home arrest. Family members of the victims are concerned for the safety of the community, as are new members of the Clemency Board. CBS 5 Investigates videotaped Huff riding a bike through his Tucson neighborhood. There are no restrictions placed on his proximity to children.

More >>

William Huff terrorized Sierra Vista during the spring and summer of 1967. Despite a sentence of 40 years to life, the Arizona Board of Executive Clemency voted to release him from prison into home arrest. Family members of the victims are concerned for the safety of the community, as are new members of the Clemency Board. CBS 5 Investigates videotaped Huff riding a bike through his Tucson neighborhood. There are no restrictions placed on his proximity to children.

More >>

Severe reaction to new sandals leads woman on a painful path

One woman wants to warn people about her painful path, the result of a severe and debilitating allergic reaction.  She had no idea what she was allergic to until she visited a fourth emergency room in two weeks.

More >>

One woman wants to warn people about her painful path, the result of a severe and debilitating allergic reaction. She had no idea what she was allergic to until she visited a fourth emergency room in two weeks.

More >>

Homeless man gets makeover from big-hearted cops

Tuesday, April 25 2017 2:44 PM EDT2017-04-25 18:44:10 GMT
    Tuesday, April 25 2017 3:49 PM EDT2017-04-25 19:49:50 GMT

Police officers in Rome, NY, went the extra mile to give back to their community, helping one in need.

Powered by Frankly