In 2014, Mississippi’s pork producers contributed a production value of $153 million dollars to our state’s economy. Farm raised pork is ideal for the calorie conscious. Pork’s high ratio of nutrients to calories is termed “high nutrient density”. A three ounce serving of lean pork has only 165 calories. Besides being comparatively low in calories, three ounces of cooked lean pork contains only a moderate amount of cholesterol; just 67 mg.
Enjoy this recipe for a delicious dinner. Check out our website at www.growingmississippi.org or follow us on Facebook by searching for Farm Families of Mississippi.
- 8 slices bacon, crisply-cooked
- 1 28-oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 14 1/2-oz can chicken broth
- 1 15-oz can white beans, (cannellini or navy)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup leaf lettuce, shredded
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, thinly sliced
Coarsely crumble bacon & set aside.
In 2-quart saucepan, stir together tomatoes, broth, beans and seasoning. Bring to a simmer; stir in vinegar.
In small bowl, toss together lettuce & basil.