LIZANA, MS (WLOX) - A South Mississippi grandmother is counting her blessings on this Thanksgiving, despite no longer being able to stay in her home after an early morning house fire.
Shortly before 7am Thursday, firefighters responded to a fire at a mobile home on Robyn Drive in Harrison County. Investigators have not yet determined what sparked the blaze, but they say the damage is extensive.
Andrea Hay lives here with her seven-year-old grandson. She said the Red Cross is putting them up in a hotel for a few nights, but because she didn't have homeowner's insurance, she's not sure what will become of her home.
"I don't think it has hit me yet because I haven't cried yet, but I'm expecting to. I probably will once it sinks in," Hayes said. "Right now I'm still doing stuff. I'm taking my clothes. I'm getting in touch with my daughters to let them know that I am okay. But when I get in the motel tonight and I'm by myself, I'll probably cry myself silly."
Andrea Hay said she would like to thank all the emergency responders and the Red Cross for their help and their kindness.