D'IBERVILLE, MS (WLOX) - Not only will there be beefed up patrols on the streets for the long Thanksgiving holiday weekend, but also around shopping malls and shopping areas to make sure you are safe while you shop. D'Iberville Police say they will have officers in uniform and in regular clothes in and around that city's stores and parking lots.
As you head out this holiday season to shop, police say there are certain things you need to do to insure your safety. Here are some shopping safety tips from D'Iberville Police.
- Lock packages in the trunk of your car or anywhere out of sight.
- Do not leave them in sight for everyone to see what you have purchased.
- Don't overload yourself with packages.
- If you must shop in the evening, shop with a friend.
- Park in a well-lit area, as close as possible to store entrances.
- Be particularly aware of persons in the parking lot, especially near your car.
- Lock your car and make sure your windows are closed.
- Carry only charge cards you will need.
- Don't flash or carry large amounts of cash.
- Carry your purse next to your body with the purse flap against you.
- Men should carry their wallets in front or inside pockets.
- Be aware of your surroundings and the people around you.
- Don't allow your attention to become distracted from your purse or packages.
- Teach your children to approach a police officer, store clerk or security guard and ask for help if they become separated in a store or mall.
- Don't hesitate to notify the police or store security if you see suspicious activity.
- If you have to wait for a ride, wait in a busy, well lit place.
- If you are a victim of a crime, report it to police immediately.