WOOLMARKET, MS (WLOX) - A heroic move by a Woolmarket Elementary School teacher saved a student's life. It was just a normal day at lunch, students enjoying a bite to eat, but in an instant something went terribly wrong.
Fifth Grader William Grayson said, "I was eating too fast and I didn't chew enough and it got stuck in my throat."
Grayson couldn't breathe.
"Very scared," Grayson said, "trying to chug it down with milk, it didn't help."
"When I looked up, I noticed one of my former students was in a bad spot," Second Grade Teacher Jill Beattie said. "His face was red and it looked like he was struggling to breathe, and I immediately thought he was choking."
Beattie said she and several other teachers rushed over to Grayson.
"We tried to see if he could cough or talk to us and he couldn't do any," Beattie said. "I just did the Heimlich three times and we got him coughing and his face was white again. He was shaken up, just like we were, but he was smiling at us and it was a much better situation than it could have been."
"I was thinking I would have to go to the hospital and get it out, have to do surgery and all that," Grayson said.
Beattie's quick thinking actually saved Grayson's life. While many would call it heroic, Beattie said it is just her job.
"I come here to teach children and to help them become better people," Beattie said, "and it's just something we provide for our students, a safe environment."
Beattie said her students also become her family.
"I actually did teach William in second grade," Beattie said. "Once you teach children, it's like they are your own children. You care about each and every one of them, you want what's best for them, and they always hold a special place in your heart."
Although teachers are not required to be CPR certified, after this incident the principal of Woolmarket Elementary School said she is looking into ways to get all her teachers certified.