Pass Christian home reduced to ashes

Fire destroys recently sold home
A home in the Oaks Golf Club in Pass Christian was reduced to ashes just days after its owners moved out. (Photo source: WLOX)
A home in the Oaks Golf Club in Pass Christian was reduced to ashes just days after its owners moved out. (Photo source: WLOX)
Neighbors told WLOX that the blaze could have been started by a lightning strike, but the cause has not yet been confirmed. (Photo source: WLOX)
Neighbors told WLOX that the blaze could have been started by a lightning strike, but the cause has not yet been confirmed. (Photo source: WLOX)
"This is our favorite house of the neighborhood, so it just sucks seeing it go down," said one neighbor. (Photo source: WLOX)
"This is our favorite house of the neighborhood, so it just sucks seeing it go down," said one neighbor. (Photo source: WLOX)
The fire departments on the scene included Pass Christian, Harrison County, Long Beach, Cuevas, Air National Guard, West Harrison, and Lizana. (Photo source: WLOX)
The fire departments on the scene included Pass Christian, Harrison County, Long Beach, Cuevas, Air National Guard, West Harrison, and Lizana. (Photo source: WLOX)

PASS CHRISTIAN, MS (WLOX) - The residents of a Harrison County subdivision will likely remember the events of Tuesday evening for years to come. A home in the Oaks Golf Club in Pass Christian was reduced to ashes just days after its owners moved out.

The heat of the blaze could even be felt if you were standing across the street, but the firefighters didn't have that luxury.

"The conditions just deteriorated to the point that it wasn't safe," said Harrison County Fire Chief Pat Sullivan.

He led a team of around 30 firemen from seven different area departments in the hours-long battle to douse the flames.

"We would hit one room and then the other room would be on fire. We'd hit that room and then the other room that we just put out, and knocked down, would start again," said Sullivan.

It didn't take long for Sullivan and his team to realize that the home was past the point of saving. The object quickly became to drown out the inferno until the last flame is out. As the teams continued to fight the blaze, the whole neighborhood was watching.

"This is our favorite house of the neighborhood, so it just sucks seeing it go down," said one neighbor.

"It was such a shock, I've never seen a house just burn down in front of my eyes," said another.

The 911 call was made by the next door neighbor, Antoinette Faulstick.

"It could have been mine, it could have been any of these houses," said Faulstick.

She remembered watching her neighbors recently move out of the house. It had been on the market and was finally sold, with plans to close in three days.

Faulstick's husband, Al, couldn't stand by and watch the empty home go up in smoke. Out of instinct, he rushed into the home's garage and found a fire extinguisher. But, he could only make it just inside the door before having to turn around.

"I mean it was engulfed in smoke, and there was nothing I could do," said Al.

Firefighters quickly responded to Faulstick's call, and the long evening ended without any injuries.

"It's very emotional right now, but thank God our firemen are ok, and that the house was empty," said a neighbor as she was passing by the smoke-filled shell of what used to be a beautiful home.

Neighbors told WLOX that the blaze could have been started by a lightning strike, but the cause has not yet been confirmed. The fire departments on the scene included Pass Christian, Harrison County, Long Beach, Cuevas, Air National Guard, West Harrison, and Lizana.

Copyright 2014 WLOX. All rights reserved.