Mom: 3-year-old caught bacterial infection from Biloxi Beach - WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi

Mom: 3-year-old caught bacterial infection from Biloxi Beach

After a visit to the beach in Biloxi, a 3-year-old girl developed a painful bacterial infection. You may have seen pictures of the little girl on Facebook. In just a few days, the mom's warning to others has gone viral. (Photo source: Facebook) After a visit to the beach in Biloxi, a 3-year-old girl developed a painful bacterial infection. You may have seen pictures of the little girl on Facebook. In just a few days, the mom's warning to others has gone viral. (Photo source: Facebook)
  • Inside WLOX.comMore>>

  • Ocean Springs man dies from flesh eating bacteria

    Ocean Springs man dies from flesh eating bacteria

    An Ocean Springs family says their loved one died after doctors believe he contracted a flesh eating bacteria in the Gulf of Mexico. They opened up about what happened to warn others.More >>
    An Ocean Springs family says their loved one died after doctors believe he contracted a flesh eating bacteria in the Gulf of Mexico. His distraught family opened up about what happened in the hope that no one else has to relive their pain.More >>
  • Two survivors of flesh eating bacteria share their stories

    Two survivors of flesh eating bacteria share their stories

    Several weeks ago, Rene Olier was on a simple fishing trip, south of Cat Island in Louisiana waters. Today, he's walking into the Wound Care Center at Memorial Hospital, his right arm amputated at theMore >>
    It's called Vibrio Vulnificus. That's the medical name. Most of us know it as the deadly flesh eating bacteria disease. Just this past week, a 38 year old Ocean Springs man died four days after becoming infected. But it is survivable, if you get quick treatment. Two men recently did just that, and are alive to tell their stories.More >>
  • Protect yourself from flesh eating bacteria

    Protect yourself from flesh eating bacteria

    Dr. David Spencer, Sr. has seen a lot of Vibrio vulnificus over the years, and says most people survive infections, if they take the right action.More >>
    Tuesday, an Ocean Springs family laid to rest their beloved son, brother, and uncle. Nick Duvernay died just days after coming into contact with the flesh eating bacteria Vibrio vulnificus, during a fishing trip in the Gulf. Dr. David Spencer, Sr. has seen a lot of Vibrio vulnificus over the years, and says most people survive infections, if they take the right action.More >>
BILOXI, MS (WLOX) -

Two sections of beach in Harrison County remain closed, as of Wednesday night, after Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality officials said sewage spills made it unsafe for swimming. Now a Coast mother says she believes something in the beach water caused her child to develop a painful bacterial infection.

Kourtney Smith said her 3-year-old daughter had no problems before visiting the beach with other family members last Thursday. Smith said she is unsure exactly where her relatives went on the Biloxi beach. However, as WLOX reported last week, a mile and a half section of Biloxi Beach was closed Thursday after test showed high bacteria levels.

Smith said Micah hasn't been eating or sleeping well since returning from that outing.

"She brought her home about 3:30, 4 o'clock," said Smith. "I got her and I was looking at her foot because it looked kind of weird. I noticed there were rashes on it. What started out looking like a blister turned into this. There were holes all in her toe, like it was eating all the way through the toe."

Smith said at first she tried to deal with it herself.

"I tried using anti-fungal cream, because I thought it was a fungus," said Smith. "So I took her to the doctor on Monday because she was running high fever and her foot was swollen like a golf ball, her ankle. They told me that was a bacterial infection."

Doctors gave the child two prescriptions that treat skin bacterial infections. Smith said she's happy the medicines seem to be working on Micah's foot, but she's concerned the infection is spreading to other areas from the girl touching her foot then touching other parts of her body.

"You see there on her nose. Then on her lip and there's a spot right there on her eyebrow," said Smith. 

Smith said there is a clear discharge coming from the infected areas. She said the doctors said if Micah's infection doesn't clear up over the next few days to bring her back in, but she's hoping that won't be necessary.

Kourtney Smith said doctors did not tell her what kind of bacterial infection her daughter has. However, it is not believed to be vibrio. WLOX checked with the Mississippi Health Department and officials said there have been no cases of vibrio reported in our state in the last month and medical facilities report such instances right away.

Copyright 2014 WLOX. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly