Standoff at New Orleans Westin leaves one dead and one injured - WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi

Standoff at New Orleans Westin leaves one dead and one injured

Updated:
NEW ORLEANS (WVUE) -

A SWAT team stand-off at a downtown hotel ended with one person dead and another in the hospital.

According to the NOPD the incident began around 6:30 a.m. Sunday at the Westin Hotel in Canal Place at 100 Iberville St. The incident ended at about 10 a.m. 

Police say that four men from the Lafayette area, ages 20, 23, 24 and 25, were staying in a room on the 17th floor. After a night out in the French Quarter, the 20-year-old, the 24-year-old and the 25-year-old returned to the room around 5:00 a.m. where the 23-year-old was already asleep.

According to police, the 23-year-old and the 25-year-old were awakened a short time later by the 20-year-old and the 24-year-old arguing. The 24-year-old repeatedly told the 20-year-old to "put the gun down". The 23-year-old told police that he saw the gunman, who appeared dazed and confused and possibly under the influence of something, sitting on one bed pointing a gun at the 24-year-old. After continuing to argue the gunman shot the 24-year-old once in the chest, according to police. The 23-year-old and the 25-year-old alerted hotel personnel who notified police.    

When police arrived on scene, they found one person barricaded in a room on the 17th floor. "When we arrived, Westin security was there," said Commander Jeff Walls with the New Orleans Police Department.

Police negotiated with the subject for three hours before breaking down the door after another gunshot was heard, according to NOPD. Once inside they discovered the 24-year-old in the room suffering from a gunshot wound. Police say that the 20-year-old died after shooting himself in the chest. The 24-year-old was transported to a local hospital where he is listed in stable condition. 

Clay Walker, visiting from Nashville, said he was on his way to the Café DuMonde with his family when he stumbled on the scene.

"It's just kind of nerve-wracking when you walk by and see all these guys with the SWAT vests and I've just got a flimsy backpack on," said Walker.

Investigators located two pistols inside the room. 

Copyright 2014 WVUE. All rights reserved.

  • Sign up for emails from FOX 8 Live

    Get news and forecasts from FOX 8 delivered to your inbox by signing up for the lists below.

    * denotes required fields




    Thank you for signing up! You will receive a confirmation email shortly.
  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Dismembered human corpse identified, suspected killer in jail

    Dismembered human corpse identified, suspected killer in jail

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 6:10 AM EDT2014-09-16 10:10:09 GMT
    (WMC) - Investigators have identified the man whose head they found inside a black garbage bag after police believe he'd likely been dead for more than a week. Police say the victim has been identifiedMore >>
    Investigators have identified the man whose head they found inside a black garbage bag after police believe he'd likely been dead for more than a week.More >>
  • Ocean Springs mom warning parents about app

    Ocean Springs mom warning parents about app

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 10:00 AM EDT2014-09-16 14:00:09 GMT
    An Ocean Springs mom is sending a warning to South Mississippi parents. Katrina Johnson wants every parent to be aware of an app that she says is being used by many students to spread hate.More >>
    An Ocean Springs mom is sending a warning to South Mississippi parents. Katrina Johnson wants every parent to be aware of an app that she says is being used by many students to spread hate. Johnson discovered the posts last week, and she says what she read would make parents cringe.More >>
  • 'Party mansion' owner convicted of tax and healthcare fraud

    'Party mansion' owner convicted of tax and healthcare fraud

    Friday, September 12 2014 12:38 PM EDT2014-09-12 16:38:35 GMT
    File photoFile photo
    A former Raleigh resident, known for the wild parties held at his “party mansion” in North Raleigh, was sentenced to more than 10 years in prison for tax fraud, healthcare fraud and money laundering crimes, according to a United States Department of Justice release.More >>
    A former Raleigh resident, known for the wild parties held at his “party mansion” in North Raleigh, was sentenced to more than 10 years in prison for tax fraud, healthcare fraud and money laundering crimes, according to a United States Department of Justice release.More >>
Powered by WorldNow

208 DeBuys Road
Biloxi, MS 39531
(228) 896-1313

FCC Public File
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WLOX. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.