Springfield cuts busing for high school students after levy defe - WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi

Springfield cuts busing for high school students after levy defeat

Posted: Updated:
TOLEDO, OH (Toledo News Now) -

Springfield Local School says students in grades 9 through 12 will not have busses to take to school this coming year. The district says the cut is because voters did not pass a levy on the August 5 ballot.

Springfield says this includes students attending Springfield and all area non-public schools.  The district say it is still required to transport Springfield students to and from PENTA.

The district will also close elementary schools one hour following the end of the school day. The buildings will no longer be available for after-school meetings and activities, child care programs, etc.

Open houses and parent/teacher conferences are considered part of the school day and will not be impacted.

Voters soundly rejected a 7.9 mill levy on August 5. The levy received 1,613 votes in support, and 3,519 against. 

The district has already made arrangements to have another levy issue on the November ballot.

The district will lose two custodial positions and reduce staff in the maintenance department.

The district's superintendent says leaders did not really have a choice.

"It is what it is. We respect that, and we will have to do the things necessary to live without additional operating money for as long as we can, and quite frankly we passed that point some time back," said Superintendent Dr. Michael O'Shea.

Follow Toledo News Now:

Mobile users, click on the "video" button in the app to watch this story. Download our app here.

Copyright 2014 Toledo News Now. All rights reserved.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Dismembered human corpse identified, suspected killer in jail

    Dismembered human corpse identified, suspected killer in jail

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 6:10 AM EDT2014-09-16 10:10:09 GMT
    (WMC) - Investigators have identified the man whose head they found inside a black garbage bag after police believe he'd likely been dead for more than a week. Police say the victim has been identifiedMore >>
    Investigators have identified the man whose head they found inside a black garbage bag after police believe he'd likely been dead for more than a week.More >>
  • Ocean Springs mom warning parents about app

    Ocean Springs mom warning parents about app

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 10:00 AM EDT2014-09-16 14:00:09 GMT
    An Ocean Springs mom is sending a warning to South Mississippi parents. Katrina Johnson wants every parent to be aware of an app that she says is being used by many students to spread hate.More >>
    An Ocean Springs mom is sending a warning to South Mississippi parents. Katrina Johnson wants every parent to be aware of an app that she says is being used by many students to spread hate. Johnson discovered the posts last week, and she says what she read would make parents cringe.More >>
  • 'Party mansion' owner convicted of tax and healthcare fraud

    'Party mansion' owner convicted of tax and healthcare fraud

    Friday, September 12 2014 12:38 PM EDT2014-09-12 16:38:35 GMT
    File photoFile photo
    A former Raleigh resident, known for the wild parties held at his “party mansion” in North Raleigh, was sentenced to more than 10 years in prison for tax fraud, healthcare fraud and money laundering crimes, according to a United States Department of Justice release.More >>
    A former Raleigh resident, known for the wild parties held at his “party mansion” in North Raleigh, was sentenced to more than 10 years in prison for tax fraud, healthcare fraud and money laundering crimes, according to a United States Department of Justice release.More >>
Powered by WorldNow

208 DeBuys Road
Biloxi, MS 39531
(228) 896-1313

FCC Public File
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WLOX. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.