Young drivers prove go-kart racing is exhilarating - WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi

Young drivers prove go-kart racing is exhilarating

GULFPORT, MS (WLOX) -

The Harrison County Fairgrounds turned into a go-kart racing track Saturday and Sunday after a few days of preparation.

Drivers ranging from ages 5-67 drove from as far as southwest Louisiana to take part in the races this weekend. Despite a little rain, that didn't stop the races from beginning since there is a roof over the track.

A couple of 7-year-olds just began driving a few years ago and they both have similar inspirations for getting behind the wheel.

"I'm [number] 27 because my dad was 27," Cale Huguet said. "That was his number before he quit. I'm running his cart."

"My dad, my pit crew, my tire man and my paw paw [inspired me]," Wyatt Wilkerson said.

It sounds like a lot of his family got him started.

"Yeah."

There's nothing like the adrenaline in your body as you impatiently wait to drive onto the track, or even the sound of the engine being started, when you get ready to race. Go-kart racing is an exhilarating sport that might be the beginning of a trek toward a NASCAR career.

It's also something that brings families together. While it may be two completely different feelings being inside a go-kart compared to cheering in the stands, that support in the bleachers helps these racers continue doing what they love.

"My uncle started racing and I wanted to get into it," 17-year-old Kori Huguet said. "My uncle, my mom and my grandpa got together and got me a car. I like it because you can get your family out here and have fun."

Most kids enjoy football, baseball, basketball. That's no surprise, but if they want a different challenge and a way to get away from it all, Kori says racing is the way to go because she enjoys the speed of it all.

Oh, and taking the checkered flag.

"I love it," Kori Huguet said. "Everything just disappears. All my problems are gone and I'm just focused on winning."

• SPORTSMore>>

Dolphins owner says he was keeping options open on anthem

Friday, July 20 2018 5:20 PM EDT2018-07-20 21:20:04 GMT
    Saturday, July 21 2018 3:36 AM EDT2018-07-21 07:36:07 GMT
    (AP Photo/Wilfredo Lee, File). FILE - In this Sunday, Oct. 23, 2016, file photo, Miami Dolphins wide receiver Kenny Stills (10), free safety Michael Thomas (31) and defensive back Chris Culliver (29) kneel during the National Anthem before the first ha...(AP Photo/Wilfredo Lee, File). FILE - In this Sunday, Oct. 23, 2016, file photo, Miami Dolphins wide receiver Kenny Stills (10), free safety Michael Thomas (31) and defensive back Chris Culliver (29) kneel during the National Anthem before the first ha...
    Miami Dolphins owner Stephen Ross says he hadn't decided whether to actually discipline players who protest during the national anthem when he formally told the team that the demonstrations could be punishable.More >>

Brewers' Hader apologizes to teammates for racist tweets

Friday, July 20 2018 6:44 PM EDT2018-07-20 22:44:54 GMT
    Saturday, July 21 2018 3:11 AM EDT2018-07-21 07:11:37 GMT
    (AP Photo/Morry Gash). Milwaukee Brewers relief pitcher Josh Hader warms up before a baseball game against the Los Angeles Dodgers Friday, July 20, 2018, in Milwaukee.(AP Photo/Morry Gash). Milwaukee Brewers relief pitcher Josh Hader warms up before a baseball game against the Los Angeles Dodgers Friday, July 20, 2018, in Milwaukee.
    Milwaukee Brewers reliever Josh Hader has apologized to his team after years-old racist and homophobic tweets surfaced during the All-Star Game.More >>

Guatemalan pleads guilty in crash that killed Colts player

Friday, July 20 2018 5:58 PM EDT2018-07-20 21:58:55 GMT
    Friday, July 20 2018 11:31 PM EDT2018-07-21 03:31:04 GMT
    (Indiana State Police via AP, File). FILE - This file photo provided by the Indiana State Police shows Manuel Orrego-Savala, of Guatemala. Orrego-Savala, living illegally in the U.S., pleaded guilty Friday, July 20, 2018, to driving drunk when he kille...(Indiana State Police via AP, File). FILE - This file photo provided by the Indiana State Police shows Manuel Orrego-Savala, of Guatemala. Orrego-Savala, living illegally in the U.S., pleaded guilty Friday, July 20, 2018, to driving drunk when he kille...
    A Guatemalan man living illegally in the U.S. has pleaded guilty to driving drunk when he killed Indianapolis Colts linebacker Edwin Jackson and his Uber driver.More >>
Powered by Frankly