Louisiana State Police say the bomb threat that shut down the University of Louisiana at Lafayette for a day was a hoax. Authorities say no explosives were found.
Master Trooper Brooks David says a device found in a small park near the university had been made to look like a bomb. It was found after a man called in threats to police and a TV station about 5:35 a.m. Wednesday.
Lafayette Police are asking drivers to avoid the area around the UL Lafayette campus and related locations. This area includes major roadways such as Johnston Street, St. Mary Boulevard, South College Road, West Pinhook Road, University Avenue, as well as roadways associated with the Oil Center.
Students were told to stay in their on-campus apartments and commuters were sent home Wednesday. All classes and operations were canceled until further notice. Click here for updates.
Parents were advised via Twitter that orientation students were being taken by bus to an off-campus location.
Lafayette police spokesman Kyle Soriez said the first device was found in a trash can at acre Girard Park, a public recreational facility next to the 1,500-acre university campus. He said nearby areas have been evacuated. He had no further information about the device.
All roads surrounding the locations have been closed for public safety, and State Police advised that residents may hear a small explosion as they disarm the first device.
In a tweet posted at about 7 a.m., the university told staff and students to stay away or remain in on-campus apartments. The university has about 16,000 students.
Spokesman Chris Welty said the university also activated its emergency notification system to reach staff and students on personal communication devices.
"UL Lafayette has issued a campus wide evacuation," the school tweeted. "Dorm residents should remain in their dorms. Classes are canceled until further notice. "Bus service at CajunField suspended until we get the all clear," said another tweet.
Friday, July 25 2014 3:19 PM EDT2014-07-25 19:19:10 GMT
(WMC) – A prostitution sting was conducted at a Southaven hotel Thursday. As a result, the following 12 people were arrested: Preston K. Mitchell, 52, Memphis, Tenn., charged with procuring prostitutionMore >>
A prostitution sting was conducted at a Southaven hotel Thursday. Twelve people were arrested.More >>
Wednesday, August 20 2014 6:53 AM EDT2014-08-20 10:53:03 GMT
Operation Crackdown struck before dawn Tuesday and targeted 20 homes across Jackson County. The sweep led to 18 suspects arrested on drug charges. Officers also seized various weapons, drugs, and cash.More >>
Operation Crackdown struck before dawn Tuesday and targeted 20 homes across Jackson County. The sweep led to 18 suspects arrested on drug charges. Officers also seized various weapons, drugs, and cash. The drug bust was considered a significant joint operation for the South Mississippi Metro Enforcement Team.More >>