2nd man questioned in Bourbon St. shooting, arrested on unrelate - WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi

2nd man questioned in Bourbon St. shooting, arrested on unrelated charges

Updated:
Person of interest in custody on unrelated charges (Source: NOPD) Person of interest in custody on unrelated charges (Source: NOPD)
Person of interest in custody on unrelated charges (Source: NOPD) Person of interest in custody on unrelated charges (Source: NOPD)
NEW ORLEANS, LA (WVUE) -

One individual was released and another was booked on unrelated charges after police questioned the two in connection with the June 29 shooting on Bourbon Street.  

Officials emphasized that the man they took into custody is not a suspect but a person of interest who may have information that could help detectives.

The arrested man's name was not released "due to the complexity of the ongoing investigation," according to an NOPD statement issued early Friday morning. The man was booked into Central Lockup on outstanding warrants, police said. 

Justin Odom, an individual previously named as a person of interest in the case, was released from jail Thursday after being arrested on outstanding attachments in Jefferson Parish, according to sheriff's spokesman Col. John Fortunato.

Odom, 21, of Marrero, turned himself in to Gretna Police Wednesday afternoon. NOPD homicide detectives interviewed Odom with his attorney present. 

He was booked into the correctional facility on a traffic warrant and a warrant for theft. Fortunato said Odom completed his booking procedures and was released due to jail overcrowding.

Ten people were shot around 2:45 a.m. in the 700 block of Bourbon Street on Sunday. One of the ten victims was pronounced dead on Wednesday. Brittany Thomas, 21, died around 2:45 p.m., according to officials. Thomas was from Hammond, Louisiana. She was previously listed in critical condition.

As of Thursday evening, only one victim remained hospitalized. Seven victims have been treated and released, while one refused any treatment.

City and national leaders gathered Tuesday to discuss the mass shooting that has captured international attention, urging anyone with information on the incident to come forward.

"For those of you that are holding on to information under the guise of protecting individuals in your community who have perpetrated violence in our streets under the concept of no snitching or stop snitching, let me tell you something - that is the handiwork of the devil," said U.S. Attorney Kenneth Polite.

A new call for the public to get involved came following the release Tuesday of additional information about the victims. Six victims are from out of state, one from as far away as Australia.

Detectives are requesting for the public's assistance in obtaining any photos or videos taken of the incident or any photos or videos taken from the French Quarter on the night of the shooting. They can be sent to NOPDTIPS@nola.gov.

Anyone with information that could help investigators is asked to call NOPD homicide detectives at (504) 658-5300 or report anonymously to Crimestoppers at (504) 822-1111. 

Follow FOX 8:     

Copyright 2014 WVUE. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow

208 DeBuys Road
Biloxi, MS 39531
(228) 896-1313

FCC Public File
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WLOX. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.