10th victim comes forward in Bourbon Street shooting - WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi

Bourbon Street shooting toll rises to 10

Updated:
NEW ORLEANS, LA (WVUE) -

The Bourbon Street shooting toll rises to 10, police say.

Officers say that a 10th victim showed up at the 1st District Police Station on Sunday. Police say the tenth victim, identified as a 39-year-old man, walked into the station around 2:30 p.m.  to report  he had been shot on Bourbon Street earlier in the morning. Detectives observed a minor injury to the victim's chest. This victim refused all medical treatment.

Ten people were shot at about 2:45 a.m. in the 700 block of Bourbon Street. The scanner recording reveals an intense search for suspects and the discovery of victim after victim as the scene unfolds. 

recording of police scanner traffic gives a second-by-second account of NOPD response in the moments after Sunday's shooting in the French Quarter. 

Late Sunday night, the NOPD released additional surveillance footage that can be seen by clicking here. The police scanner can be heard here. Both are graphic.

Video surveillance depicts a 'person of interest' following Sunday's mass shooting on Bourbon Street.

Of the ten people shot, an Interim LSU Hospital spokeswoman confirmed that one person hospitalized there is in critical condition and four others are in stable condition. Four other victims have been treated and released from the hospital. 

In a news conference held Sunday afternoon just steps from the site of the shooting, NOPD Superintendent Ronald Serpas said that "two cowardly young men" were trying to settle a dispute between themselves "without a moment's care for anyone else."

Serpas said some of the victims are not from New Orleans.

Serpas said three officers were within a block of where the shooting happened and responded immediately. He said a total of 25 officers were on patrol at the time throughout the Eighth District, which includes the French Quarter, Marigny and Treme neighborhoods.

Mayor Mitch Landrieu released the following statement in response to the shootings:

"These kinds of incidents will not go unanswered. NOPD was in the immediate vicinity at the time of the incident, and I am confident that between video evidence and eyewitness accounts, we will bring the perpetrators to justice. Our crime fighting efforts have brought murders in the city of New Orleans to a historic nearly 30-year low. But on days like today, the statistics don't matter because every life is precious - from the 9th Ward to the French Quarter," Landrieu said. "We will not rest until every corner of this city is safe."

Serpas said that police know more about the shooters than they think.

"We're going to find these guys," Serpas said. "I don't have any doubt about it."

He said there will be a heavy police presence with officers working overtime during the upcoming Essence Festival and the Fourth of July holiday.

Anyone with information is asked to call Crimestoppers at (504) 822-1111.

Surveillance footage courtesy of EarthCam.

Follow FOX 8:     

Copyright 2014 WVUE. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow

208 DeBuys Road
Biloxi, MS 39531
(228) 896-1313

FCC Public File
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WLOX. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.