Firefighters extinguish fire at Longview Coors facility - WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi

Firefighters extinguish fire at Longview Coors facility

Posted: Updated:
Several firefighters received IVs to treat for dehydration (Source: KLTV staff) Several firefighters received IVs to treat for dehydration (Source: KLTV staff)
The fire flared up just before noon on Tuesday. (Source: KLTV staff) The fire flared up just before noon on Tuesday. (Source: KLTV staff)
Smoke was seen from atop the KLTV Longview studios in downtown Longview. (Source KLTV) Smoke was seen from atop the KLTV Longview studios in downtown Longview. (Source KLTV)
LONGVIEW, TX (KLTV) - Firefighters have extinguished a fire at the Coors distribution facility in East Longview on Tuesday afternoon.

According to Longview Fire Department Battalion Chief Steven Green, the fire was contained around 2:30 p.m. and then completely extinguished.

The fire was reported around 10:30 a.m. by the Longview Fire Department. Smoke could be seen billowing from the building in the 2000 block of East Cotton Street.

All employees were able to evacuate the building before the fire department showed up. Crews arrived around 10:25 a.m. and were able to gain access to the building by cutting through walls. The fire was controlled just before 10:50 a.m. but Longview Fire Marshal Johnny Zackary said the fire flared up again just before noon and a second alarm was called out. Insulation inside the building kept reigniting, making it difficult for firefighters to control the blaze.

Crews remained in the building to battle the blaze, which was brought back under control just after 1 p.m. At 2:30 p.m., flames were no longer visible from outside the building. An hour of significant rainfall on Tuesday afternoon helped crews contain the flames.

Authorities say the smoke coming from the fire was toxic for firefighters inside the building, but not to people in the surrounding area. No evacuations were ordered.

According to Lezli Chappell, a Coors spokesperson, it is believed the fire was caused by an A/C crew working on a unit at the back of the building where coolers store kegs of beer. Officials think a torch ignited insulation, starting the fire.

There is no word yet if any of the offices in the front of facility can be saved. The entire facility likely received major smoke damage.

Several firefighters were treated on the scene of minor injuries, such as sprains. A few were given IVs to treat dehydration.

Traffic from Eastman Road entering downtown on East Cotton was redirected onto Gum Springs Road, according to Officer Kristie Brian. Westbound traffic on Cotton to Eastman Road was also shut down.

According to their website, Coors of Longview occupies a 47,000 square foot facility with 20,000 square feet of cold storage. The company reports the facility employs 60 individuals at the Longview facility. Coors of Longview distributes over 60 products from the facility in Longview.

Kilgore and White Oak fire departments were on call to cover Longview because so many Longview units were on scene at the Coors facility.

Copyright 2014 KLTV. All rights reserved.
  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Two injured Omega Protein plant workers speak out

    Two injured Omega Protein plant workers speak out

    Thursday, July 31 2014 6:54 AM EDT2014-07-31 10:54:16 GMT
    Two of the men injured in the Omega Protein explosion on Monday are speaking out about the deadly blast. In an exclusive interview with WLOX, the men describe what happened, and how they survived.More >>
    Two of the men injured in the Omega Protein explosion on Monday are speaking out about the deadly blast. In an exclusive interview with WLOX News, the men describe what happened that day, and how they survived.More >>
  • Prostitution sting nets 31 arrests

    Prostitution sting nets 31 arrests

    Tuesday, April 20 2010 11:21 PM EDT2010-04-21 03:21:00 GMT
    31 people are in trouble with the law after a three day prostitution sting in Richmond. Police told NBC12 they targeted specific areas where residents and business owners complained about the illegal activity.More >>
  • Fire destroys the Old Cuevas Bistro

    Fire destroys the Old Cuevas Bistro

    Thursday, July 31 2014 10:30 AM EDT2014-07-31 14:30:03 GMT
    "Destroyed," is how Harrison County Fire Marshal Pat Sullivan described the aftermath of the fire at the Old Cuevas Bistro on Menge Avenue.
    More >>
    The owner of the Old Cuevas Bistro near Pass Christian says she does have insurance, and she hopes to rebuild. Rebuilding became necessary after a late night fire ripped through her restaurant. "Destroyed," is how Harrison County Fire Marshal Pat Sullivan described the aftermath of the fire at the Old Cuevas Bistro on Menge Avenue.More >>
Powered by WorldNow

208 DeBuys Road
Biloxi, MS 39531
(228) 896-1313

FCC Public File
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WLOX. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.