Jonesboro E911 director: Tornado sirens will not become obsolete - WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi

Jonesboro E911 director: Tornado sirens will not become obsolete

Posted: Updated:

JONESBORO, AR (KAIT) - Jonesboro E911 Director Jeff Presley tested the city's tornado sirens Thursday for the first time since last week's storm.

Presley said there was no damage to the system. Every siren worked.

The National Weather Service did not issue a tornado warning last week during the high wind storm, but Presley set off the sirens twice, based on damage reports coming in.

Presley said his department also received reports from residents not being able to hear the sirens. He found the main problem was people were inside. 

"This is an outdoor warning device," Presley said. "A lot of folks will call and say, 'I can't hear it in my house.' But it's designed for outdoors. It's a safety device. You don't have to have that tornado, but if you hear them going off, and it's not a Thursday at noon with the sun shining, get in a safe spot."

Presley wants the public to take these sirens seriously. He said the department only sets them off if there is real, potential danger to residents' safety. 

"If we're getting reports in that there could be windows blown out, tress falling over, things like that, we're going to set those sirens off," Presley said. 

Presley said if residents are outside and cannot hear the sirens, call Jonesboro E911 at 933-4502 and he will go out and test them.

"You have to keep the system up and running," Presley said. "That's our job to take care of the public."

However, Presley said taking care of the public comes with a hefty price tag. The city has 33 sirens, each costing about $6,000. It then costs about $30,000 every year to maintain them.

"It [the cost] really is worth it," Presley said. "If we can save that one child, save that one life, it's worth it. You may not hear that siren, other than testing a couple times a year, but if you look at it from a big picture, it's saving lives, it's taking care of the public, it's well worth the money."

Presley said individuals can also protect themselves. He said Jonesboro residents should pay attention to indoor tornado alerts: listen to weather radios and check social media. 

"There's a lot of information out there that can keep you ahead of that storm," Presley said. 

Presley also urges families to have a safe spot in mind for before and after a storm.

"You take an event like that Thursday and it shows the importance of having a family safe plan, teaching your children where to go," Presley said. "If you can't reach 911, we can't dispatch, know where you're going for a safe spot, have your family meet up there because it may be awhile before emergency services can get to you."

Presley said tornado sirens will not become obsolete in Jonesboro. 

"I don't think they will," Presley said. "I think it's a good outdoor warning device. When you hear that siren, you know something's up."

Presley will meet Friday with Mayor Harold Perrin and fire and police departments for a debriefing on how they handled last week's storm and ways to improve.

Copyright 2014 KAIT. All rights reserved.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Two injured Omega Protein plant workers speak out

    Two injured Omega Protein plant workers speak out

    Thursday, July 31 2014 6:54 AM EDT2014-07-31 10:54:16 GMT
    Two of the men injured in the Omega Protein explosion on Monday are speaking out about the deadly blast. In an exclusive interview with WLOX, the men describe what happened, and how they survived.More >>
    Two of the men injured in the Omega Protein explosion on Monday are speaking out about the deadly blast. In an exclusive interview with WLOX News, the men describe what happened that day, and how they survived.More >>
  • Prostitution sting nets 31 arrests

    Prostitution sting nets 31 arrests

    Tuesday, April 20 2010 11:21 PM EDT2010-04-21 03:21:00 GMT
    31 people are in trouble with the law after a three day prostitution sting in Richmond. Police told NBC12 they targeted specific areas where residents and business owners complained about the illegal activity.More >>
  • Fire destroys the Old Cuevas Bistro

    Fire destroys the Old Cuevas Bistro

    Thursday, July 31 2014 10:30 AM EDT2014-07-31 14:30:03 GMT
    "Destroyed," is how Harrison County Fire Marshal Pat Sullivan described the aftermath of the fire at the Old Cuevas Bistro on Menge Avenue.
    More >>
    The owner of the Old Cuevas Bistro near Pass Christian says she does have insurance, and she hopes to rebuild. Rebuilding became necessary after a late night fire ripped through her restaurant. "Destroyed," is how Harrison County Fire Marshal Pat Sullivan described the aftermath of the fire at the Old Cuevas Bistro on Menge Avenue.More >>
Powered by WorldNow

208 DeBuys Road
Biloxi, MS 39531
(228) 896-1313

FCC Public File
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WLOX. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.