Boy, 10, undergoes surgery after bullet strikes spine - - The News for South Mississippi

Boy, 10, undergoes surgery after bullet strikes spine


A grieving family hopes tips allow police to find the gunman who killed a man and left his 10-year-old son battling for his life.

A 5 year old is needing counseling after witnessing the horror on Friday night when a gunman fired shots into a car parked at a gas station in the 4500 block of Cleveland Avenue.

K.C. Curry, 34, was shot to death. A bullet struck his 10-year-old son's spine. Ka Vyea Tyson Curry, 10, will have to learn to walk again, and he underwent surgery Monday after one of his lungs collapsed and the second filled with fluid.

The boy's grandfather, Forest Tyson Jr., said it's heartbreaking to see the once-active boy now hooked up to tubes in a hospital bed surrounded by stuffed animals.

"Twisting a knife continuously in your back," he said. "That's the pain of seeing someone you love fighting like that. ... I would do anything, anything to trade places with my grandson."

During a vigil Monday night, Tyson caused many tears to flow when he shared his grandson's words.

"He opened his eyes and he said, 'Papa, they shot my daddy in the head and I think he's dead,'" Tyson recalled.

Tiarra Parker's 5-year-old nephew was with Ka Vyea and his father. The 5-year-old wasn't hit by the gunfire, but is quite traumatized. Parker had been dating Curry for almost three years.

"He didn't deserve this, nor did his son deserve this as well," Parker said.

Monday night's vigil was held at the gas station where the shots rang out. Outrage filled the air.

"This baby got to spend the rest of his life seeing his father taken from him," said Pat Clarke of Community Outreach. "That's the problem in our community now. We don't have enough dads in the home, and the ones that need them don't have them."

Jackson County Prosecutor Jean Peters Baker urged residents to give authorities the vital information to break the case.

"Somebody saw something. Somebody knows something. And that's all we're asking for is for you to come forward and tell us what you know," he said.

Curry and the boys had been out running some errands in preparation for a birthday party. Curry had stopped to get gasoline and snacks when the shots rang out about 9:30 p.m.

Police spokesman Capt. Tye Grant said the suspected gunman approached Curry's driver's side window on foot and shot several times through the window, striking both Curry and his son, who was in the front passenger seat.

The boy who wasn't shot is quite traumatized, Parker said.

"He says he can't stop thinking about it," she said.

While Curry had some brushes with the law, including time in jail, Parker said he was focused on family and turning his life around for his son.

"He was a very good person, a good father, a good provider. He was a mentor to the kids in the community," she said. "He loved his son, and his son loved him very much."

The injured boy's family was initially told he would be paralyzed from the waist down, but they are now optimistic that he will be able to walk again after undergoing extensive rehabilitation.

Police have not zeroed in on a suspect in the case. They released surveillance video showing the suspected gunman,  and asking anyone with information to call police or the TIPS Hotline at 816-474-TIPS.

Parker pleaded for tips.

"I don't know if it was someone from his past. I don't know if it was a gang initiation or just a random act of violence. I really don't know," she said. "But I would like to know so I could have a little more closure."

The family has set up a foundation to help with medical costs. Anyone wishing to help can donate at:

Kavyea 'Buddha' Tyson-Curry Foundation
Bank of America
Acct: 355005616814

Copyright 2014 KCTV (Meredith Corp.) All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly