Investigators reopen cold case murder of a teen

In 1974, 15-year-old Mary Ann Farve was kidnapped from Bay St. Louis. Her body was found nine months later. (Photo source: The Sea Coast Echo)
In 1974, 15-year-old Mary Ann Farve was kidnapped from Bay St. Louis. Her body was found nine months later. (Photo source: The Sea Coast Echo)

HANCOCK COUNTY, MS (WLOX) - It was a heinous crime that shook the entire Bay St. Louis community.

"I remember it being very scary and very upsetting especially when they couldn't find her and everybody was crying and upset especially her parents, they were very upset," Starlyn Mitchell said.

It was April 22,1974, 15-year-old Mary Ann Farve was riding her bike from her home on Boardman Avenue to bring her sister to school about a mile away on Dunbar Avenue. Her sister made it to school, but Farve never returned home.

Staryln Mitchell lived near Farve and remembered asking her mother if she could go with Farve that day.

"My mom didn't want me walking while she was riding the bike on Dunbar Avenue," Mitchell said, "so I didn't go that day."

In January of 1975, nine months after Farve vanished, her body was found in a field in Pass Christian. She had been shot in the head.

Two of Farve's loved ones remember that horrific day like it was yesterday. The couple still gets emotional talking about Farve.

They did not want to be identified, but said, "She was a beautiful girl inside and out. She was humble, very sweet, appreciative and always made good decisions."

They hope to finally get justice for the young girl they loved so much.

The FBI released a sketch in 1974 of a man seen by witnesses near where Farve went missing but no one was ever arrested, 40 years later Hancock County deputies hope to change that.

"It's an unsolved crime, and at the time, one of the most heinous crimes. And to be unsolved, something like that, almost an injustice," Sheriff Ricky Adam said. "Once it was brought to our attention it was one of those deals that this young lady and family deserves closure."

All of the original notes from the case were lost during Hurricane Katrina, so the sheriff's department has asked the FBI to see if they still have any files or evidence. Meanwhile, coast investigators have started interviewing people.

"We will have to rebuild the entire case. If not, we will miss something," Hancock County Lead Investigator Glenn Grannan said.

"There may still be a murderer walking around," Sheriff Adam said. "I can tell you as a father of two young girls, I'd hate to know my daughter had to go through that. But it is our duty and our obligation to that young lady and to her family and to our citizens that we do everything in our power to locate this killer, whether he is dead or alive."

There is no statute of limitations on kidnapping or murder in the state of Mississippi. so if someone is found guilty of Farve's murder, they could be sentenced to death.

If you know anything about what happened to Farve, you are asked to call the Hancock County Sheriff's Department at (228) 466-6900 or Crime Stoppers at 1-877-787-5898 or . Crime Stoppers is offering a reward for any information leading to the arrest of a suspect.

Copyright 2014 WLOX. All rights reserved.