5 Children's Hospital patients died in 2008, 2009 after contact - WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi

5 Children's Hospital patients died in 2008, 2009 after contact with deadly fungus

Updated:
NEW ORLEANS, LA (WVUE) -

Five children died because of fungus-contaminated linens at Children's Hospital, prompting an investigation by the Centers for Disease Control. It happened years ago and is just coming to light because of a new entry in a medical journal.

The study has stunned even veteran health professionals.

"Just blew me away," said Dr. Brobson Lutz. "I couldn't conceive that that could have happened without that information being disseminated in the medical community, but some folks kept it a secret for whatever reason."

Published in the Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal and released just days ago, the study says hospital linens transmitted a fungus to patients at a pediatric hospital in Louisiana identified only as "Hospital A."

Children's Hospital released the following statement to FOX 8 News:

"We acknowledge that Children's Hospital is Hospital A in an upcoming article in The Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal. The safety and well-being of our patients are our top priorities, so as soon as a problem was suspected, the State Health Department and CDC were notified and invited to assist in the investigation. The hospital was extremely aggressive in trying to isolate and then eliminate the source of the fungus."

Five children ranging in age from 35 days to 13 years old died after contracting mucor-mycosis from August 2008 through July 2009.

"It's a fungus that usually is transmitted through the air," said Dr. Fred Lopez, an infectious disease specialist with the LSU Health Sciences Center. "You can inhale it, in other words, and then get infected as it disseminates throughout the body, or it could infect from trauma to the skin."

The fungus ended up on hospital linens and found its way into the young patients' skin.

"Usually we see these infections in patients who have immuno-compromising conditions, high, high doses of steroids, or they're taking chemo-therapy that knocks out the white blood cells in their body, so that they can't fight infection," Lopez said.

He said diabetic patients are also at risk.

"But diabetes that is out of control - high, high sugars, the ph of the bodies, on the acids side, that's where I typically see these infections," Lopez said.

The Centers for Disease Control investigated years ago and inspected the hospital for potential sources of mold, even visiting an offsite laundry facility that had a contract with the hospital.

"Whatever process that had been used to clean the linens was probably sufficient, but contamination occurred after the linens were cleaned, whether they were put in dusty bins, or dirty bins, or humid bins, or whatever," Lutz said.

Lutz  heard about the case over the weekend when he received an email as part of an infectious disease listserve.

"This is the kind of information that needs to be rapidly disseminated in the infectious disease and in the public health community," Lutz said. "These are emerging types of disease problems."

"This is not an infection that a normal individual should be worried about, normal meaning normal immune system," Lopez said.

The study says it's believed that the mold was brought into the hospital on the linen which was exposed to the outdoors at the laundry facility and on the hospital's loading dock, which was adjacent to a construction site.                      

Copyright 2014 WVUE. All rights reserved.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Two injured Omega Protein plant workers speak out

    Two injured Omega Protein plant workers speak out

    Thursday, July 31 2014 6:54 AM EDT2014-07-31 10:54:16 GMT
    Two of the men injured in the Omega Protein explosion on Monday are speaking out about the deadly blast. In an exclusive interview with WLOX, the men describe what happened, and how they survived.More >>
    Two of the men injured in the Omega Protein explosion on Monday are speaking out about the deadly blast. In an exclusive interview with WLOX News, the men describe what happened that day, and how they survived.More >>
  • Prostitution sting nets 31 arrests

    Prostitution sting nets 31 arrests

    Tuesday, April 20 2010 11:21 PM EDT2010-04-21 03:21:00 GMT
    31 people are in trouble with the law after a three day prostitution sting in Richmond. Police told NBC12 they targeted specific areas where residents and business owners complained about the illegal activity.More >>
  • Fire destroys the Old Cuevas Bistro

    Fire destroys the Old Cuevas Bistro

    Thursday, July 31 2014 10:30 AM EDT2014-07-31 14:30:03 GMT
    "Destroyed," is how Harrison County Fire Marshal Pat Sullivan described the aftermath of the fire at the Old Cuevas Bistro on Menge Avenue.
    More >>
    The owner of the Old Cuevas Bistro near Pass Christian says she does have insurance, and she hopes to rebuild. Rebuilding became necessary after a late night fire ripped through her restaurant. "Destroyed," is how Harrison County Fire Marshal Pat Sullivan described the aftermath of the fire at the Old Cuevas Bistro on Menge Avenue.More >>
Powered by WorldNow

208 DeBuys Road
Biloxi, MS 39531
(228) 896-1313

FCC Public File
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WLOX. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.