Saucier man admits to killing family: "Sorry for what I've done"

Marty Saucier (Photo source: Harrison Co. Sheriff's Dept.)
Marty Saucier (Photo source: Harrison Co. Sheriff's Dept.)

HARRISON COUNTY, MS (WLOX) - A Harrison County man will likely die behind bars after admitting to killing his parents and brother. Marty Saucier pleaded guilty to three counts of murder just days before he was scheduled to go to trial. During his confession, a judge asked Marty Saucier to describe his crimes.

"I was under the influence of Methamphetamine and I shot my brother. I went downstairs and I shot my mother," said Marty Saucier who was visibly distraught. After a long pause and wiping away tears he said, "I went outside and shot my father."

Back in 2012 Marty Saucier was living with his parents, Kenneth and Kay, and adult brother, Matt, in the family home in Saucier. Also staying there were Marty's two young children of whom he'd gained custody.

After the shootings, relatives told WLOX that brothers Marty and Matt were very close when they were children. However, the family said that changed over the years as Marty became involved in drugs. Then came April 23, 2012.

Marty said he and Matt had argued and that he had shot Matt in the head while Matt was lying in bed. Marty Saucier said shortly after that his mother arrived home and he went downstairs.

"We argued and she went into her bedroom. I shot her in the head," said Marty Saucier.

Family patriarch Kenneth Saucier would also lose his life that day. He was in a shed checking his tires. Marty said his father fussed at him for not going to work the day Marty shot his father.

Prosecutors said Kenneth was shot once in the neck, Matt was shot twice in the face, and Kay was shot seven times to the head and neck. All the shots were at close range. Their bodies weren't discovered until April 25th after Marty sent a text to a relative of his children saying, "They're all dead. Call 911." Prosecutors said by then the decomposition process had begun.

"All I remember is going into the woods after that and waiting for the cops to come," said Marty Saucier.

When the authorities came there was a standoff in the woods about a quarter mile from the house with Marty Saucier holding a gun to his head. Eventually, law enforcement captured him by using a taser and a dog. Prosecutors said during the scuffle Marty suffered a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the face. Marty told the judge he had since fully recovered.

He was charged with three counts of murder. Prosecutors said they're relieved Marty decided to spare his remaining family even more pain by pleading guilty.

"For a family as large as this one was and for all the family members that you saw in the courtroom today, a guilty plea is always a better solution because they don't have to endure the emotional trauma of a trial," said District Attorney Joel Smith.

Defense attorneys said they'd tried to convince Marty it was better to go to trial, but they said he was adamant he was ready to face the consequences of what he'd done.

Though Marty Saucier had tried to quit drugs in the past and gone to rehab, he told the judge he'd been doing Meth for three days before the murders.

"I want to say I'm sorry for what I've done," said Marty Saucier. "I've been forgiven. So sorry."

Two consecutive life sentences and one concurrent means he'll likely never be a free man again. The judge asked Marty Saucier if he'd ever seen anything good come from using Meth. He said, "No, your honor. Nothing ever."

Meanwhile, murder victim Matt Saucier left behind a young son.

Copyright 2014 WLOX. All rights reserved.