D'IBERVILLE, MS (WLOX) - Some D'Iberville residents were allowed back inside their fire-damaged homes at Arbor View Apartments Friday morning.
Although Tuesday night's fire nearly destroyed an entire building; some tenants were able to recover a few personal belongings.
As the investigation continues into what sparked that massive blaze, displaced residents are trying to move on with their lives.
For some, a part of that process is seeing what's left to salvage. This was the first time since the fire that it's been safe enough to let residents return to the building.
"The apartments have been released. So the occupants can get some of their belongings out, the apartments that are on the ends that still have belongings to get out," said D'Iberville Fire Chief, Gerald Smith.
"I was able to get my washer-dryer, my vacuum," said Jeffrey Glazier, who lived in one of those end units.
He managed to salvage a few things, but his apartment has extensive damage.
"My bathroom ceiling came completely down. Most of my bedroom ceiling came down, a huge hole in my bedroom wall. Everything in there, the water in the carpet, it's like a hurricane flooded it. I mean it's all just shot. Everything," said Glazier.
"Try not to think too much about it. Just keep my head up. What are you gonna do?" said Keith Streeter.
This survivor of Hurricane Katrina has dealt with loss before. He came to salvage what he could from his second floor apartment.
"I just went in there for the first time just now. Very little, we've got to have it out by Sunday. So, I'm going to see what I can do," Streeter said.
As those few residents were going through their damaged apartments to see if they could find anything to recover, D'Iberville firefighters were also sifting through charred rubble to see if they could salvage anything for these fire victims.
They recovered a fire proof security box and were looking for another safe.
Amid all this destruction, there is still thankfulness.
"It moves me every time I see it. It is such a tragedy, but we have to count our blessings at the end of the day. Everyone made it out alive. So, we have a lot to be thankful for," said property manager, Deanna Cannette.