Former Osceola teacher charged with sexual assault - WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi

Former Osceola teacher charged with sexual assault

Posted: Updated:

OSCEOLA, AR (KAIT) - A former Osceola High School math teacher is charged with sexual assault of three students.

According to Prosecutor Scott Ellington's office, Jacqueline Nicole Winberry was in court on Friday for an arraignment. She had another appearance scheduled on February 21.

Winberry was charged with four counts of first degree sexual assault.

Superintendent Michael Cox said Winberry resigned from her position at Osceola High School last week.

Superintendent Cox said the staff began to hear rumors and allegations from students about a situation with Winberry and a student.

Superintendent Cox said the school started investigating and found evidence to back up the students' allegations.

"We had one student who had some text messages on his phone from a teacher," Cox said.

After discovering text messages, Superintendent Cox said the school immediately contacted the Arkansas Child Abuse Hotline and the Osceola Police Department.

"We have a resource officer from the Osceola Police Department. We brought him in and got him involved. And I think the people from the hotline contacted the state police, and they did an investigation," Cox said.

According to police, that investigation revealed Nicole Winberry may have sexually assaulted two more students.

Winberry appeared in Osceola circuit court Friday where she was charged with a total of four counts of sexual assault.

"It's just a sad day. It's a sad situation both for the students who were affected and Miss Winberry so there's no good that can come out of this," Cox said. "I just really hate that something like this happens, but you don't always know the people you hire. You don't always know about them until it's too late sometimes."  

Winberry was a math teacher at Paragould High School before she came to Osceola High School. Paragould Superintendent Debbie Smith confirmed Winberry was employed at Paragould High School, but said Winberry resigned at the end of the 2013 school year.

Smith could not tell Region 8 News why Winberry resigned. 

"We didn't know she resigned from Paragould," Cox said. "We hired her late in the year. It was an August board meeting, we needed a math teacher, and school was getting ready to start. We had a teacher here that had classes with her and spoke highly of her. We didn't know anything about the situation so we didn't know."

Superintendent Cox said he has never dealt with anything like this in his 20 years as superintendent. 

"It's just a bad situation all the way around," Cox said.

According to police, Winberry is now facing any where from six to 30 years in prison and a fine up to $15,000. Her bond is also set at $15,000.

 

Copyright 2014 KAIT. All rights reserved.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Dismembered human corpse identified, suspected killer in jail

    Dismembered human corpse identified, suspected killer in jail

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 6:10 AM EDT2014-09-16 10:10:09 GMT
    (WMC) - Investigators have identified the man whose head they found inside a black garbage bag after police believe he'd likely been dead for more than a week. Police say the victim has been identifiedMore >>
    Investigators have identified the man whose head they found inside a black garbage bag after police believe he'd likely been dead for more than a week.More >>
  • Ocean Springs mom warning parents about app

    Ocean Springs mom warning parents about app

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 10:00 AM EDT2014-09-16 14:00:09 GMT
    An Ocean Springs mom is sending a warning to South Mississippi parents. Katrina Johnson wants every parent to be aware of an app that she says is being used by many students to spread hate.More >>
    An Ocean Springs mom is sending a warning to South Mississippi parents. Katrina Johnson wants every parent to be aware of an app that she says is being used by many students to spread hate. Johnson discovered the posts last week, and she says what she read would make parents cringe.More >>
  • 'Party mansion' owner convicted of tax and healthcare fraud

    'Party mansion' owner convicted of tax and healthcare fraud

    Friday, September 12 2014 12:38 PM EDT2014-09-12 16:38:35 GMT
    File photoFile photo
    A former Raleigh resident, known for the wild parties held at his “party mansion” in North Raleigh, was sentenced to more than 10 years in prison for tax fraud, healthcare fraud and money laundering crimes, according to a United States Department of Justice release.More >>
    A former Raleigh resident, known for the wild parties held at his “party mansion” in North Raleigh, was sentenced to more than 10 years in prison for tax fraud, healthcare fraud and money laundering crimes, according to a United States Department of Justice release.More >>
Powered by WorldNow

208 DeBuys Road
Biloxi, MS 39531
(228) 896-1313

FCC Public File
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WLOX. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.