How to safely stay warm in frigid weather - WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi

How to safely stay warm in frigid weather

Posted: Updated:
Michael Kreiser has worked in worse weather, but the Shelby County Health Department knows not everyone has his experience. Michael Kreiser has worked in worse weather, but the Shelby County Health Department knows not everyone has his experience.
The Memphis Fire Department says when temperatures drop their fire calls go up. The Memphis Fire Department says when temperatures drop their fire calls go up.
Fires do not just start with space heaters they can start with burning candles, fire places, even electrical cords. Fires do not just start with space heaters they can start with burning candles, fire places, even electrical cords.
(WMC-TV) - As the temperatures drop, people across the Mid-South prepare for the frigid weather.

"It's frigid with the wind," said Michael Kreiser with Ferrell Paving.

Road construction crews widening the Interstate 40-240 interchange knew how to bundle up Thursday so their work did not stop in extreme temperatures.

"If it's a 100 degrees or it's 10 degrees, we're usually out here," he said.

Michael Kreiser has worked in worse weather, but the Shelby County Health Department knows not everyone has his experience.

"Bundle up, cover all different parts of your body," said Dr. Helen Morrow with the health department.

Morrow says cold stress or hypothermia can come on gradually and cause you to feel disoriented and sleepy. Click here for more tips on cold weather tips.

"Dress in layers. You lose a great deal of heat through your head, so make sure you cover your nose and mouth so you're not breathing in the cold air," said Morrow.

The health department also says avoid overexertion outside in these temperatures. It can cause a heart attack, which is a major cause of death in the winter.

In addition, the Memphis Fire Department says when temperatures drop their fire calls go up. It includes fires started from space heaters, candles, fireplaces and gas stoves alike.

Jon Raiford is all too familiar with the dangers of trying to stay warm during the winter months. Just before the holidays, his family's home went up in flames; six people inside got out safely, but the fire destroyed everything.

"When they caught fire my smoke detector went off any my son alerted everybody, and we just got out of the house," he said. 

A smoke detector saved lives in this particular case.

Firefighters determined the fire started in the front room because of a space heater, but it was just one of a handful of fires in the last month started by space heaters.

Fires do not just start with space heaters they can start with burning candles, fire places, even electrical cords. Experts say before you go to bed make sure all heaters are at least three feet away from curtains, bedding, or anything that can catch fire.

And never leave a heater unattended. Another thing to keep in mind: Do not use your gas stove to heat the house as you will run the risk of getting carbon monoxide poisoning. If you plug in a space heater try to avoiding using extension cords; they can overheat and catch fire too.

Get the latest from Action News 5 anytime: iPhone | iPad | Android | SMS Alerts | Email Alerts | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Copyright 2014 WMC-TV. All rights reserved.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Two injured Omega Protein plant workers speak out

    Two injured Omega Protein plant workers speak out

    Thursday, July 31 2014 6:54 AM EDT2014-07-31 10:54:16 GMT
    Two of the men injured in the Omega Protein explosion on Monday are speaking out about the deadly blast. In an exclusive interview with WLOX, the men describe what happened, and how they survived.More >>
    Two of the men injured in the Omega Protein explosion on Monday are speaking out about the deadly blast. In an exclusive interview with WLOX News, the men describe what happened that day, and how they survived.More >>
  • Prostitution sting nets 31 arrests

    Prostitution sting nets 31 arrests

    Tuesday, April 20 2010 11:21 PM EDT2010-04-21 03:21:00 GMT
    31 people are in trouble with the law after a three day prostitution sting in Richmond. Police told NBC12 they targeted specific areas where residents and business owners complained about the illegal activity.More >>
  • Fire destroys the Old Cuevas Bistro

    Fire destroys the Old Cuevas Bistro

    Thursday, July 31 2014 10:30 AM EDT2014-07-31 14:30:03 GMT
    "Destroyed," is how Harrison County Fire Marshal Pat Sullivan described the aftermath of the fire at the Old Cuevas Bistro on Menge Avenue.
    More >>
    The owner of the Old Cuevas Bistro near Pass Christian says she does have insurance, and she hopes to rebuild. Rebuilding became necessary after a late night fire ripped through her restaurant. "Destroyed," is how Harrison County Fire Marshal Pat Sullivan described the aftermath of the fire at the Old Cuevas Bistro on Menge Avenue.More >>
Powered by WorldNow

208 DeBuys Road
Biloxi, MS 39531
(228) 896-1313

FCC Public File
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WLOX. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.