Search on for new home for Richmond's New Year's Eve Ball Raise - WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi

Search on for new home for Richmond's New Year's Eve Ball Raise

Posted: Updated:
RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) -

Organizers are scrambling to find a new location for Richmond's New Years' Eve Ball Raise and have only 11 days left in the year.

The Byrd Theatre Foundation announced Wednesday afternoon it is canceling the event, due to growing concern over the trash, vandalism and other issues the event attracts to Carytown.

It had taken place on top of the Byrd Theatre for the last six years. Even though the event can't be held there, organizers are determined not to cancel it completely.

Todd Schall-Vess built the ball by hand and co-founded the Ball Raise seven years ago. That's why he was stunned by the Foundation's announcement.

"Their concerns are certainly valid things but I think they could have been addressed," said Schall-Vess.

Though several businesses near the Byrd Theatre say, the cancellation is a relief.

"When we come to work the next day, it's ground zero," said Mark Clements, a hairdresser at Perception Salon. "We have to clean up everything and the vandalism that's gone on. It's a pain."

Schall-Vess says, his event won't be shutdown completely. The nearly five-foot hall ball, with more than 1,200 different light sources, can be taken apart and moved.

"I want the tradition to continue even if it can't be in Carytown," said Schall-Vess. He says, he's scouting potential locations but is also open to new suggestions and working with potential partners.

If you want to help, you're urged to e-mail him at magiker1@comcast.net.

Copyright 2013 WWBT NBC12.  All rights reserved.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Dismembered human corpse identified, suspected killer in jail

    Dismembered human corpse identified, suspected killer in jail

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 6:10 AM EDT2014-09-16 10:10:09 GMT
    (WMC) - Investigators have identified the man whose head they found inside a black garbage bag after police believe he'd likely been dead for more than a week. Police say the victim has been identifiedMore >>
    Investigators have identified the man whose head they found inside a black garbage bag after police believe he'd likely been dead for more than a week.More >>
  • Ocean Springs mom warning parents about app

    Ocean Springs mom warning parents about app

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 10:00 AM EDT2014-09-16 14:00:09 GMT
    An Ocean Springs mom is sending a warning to South Mississippi parents. Katrina Johnson wants every parent to be aware of an app that she says is being used by many students to spread hate.More >>
    An Ocean Springs mom is sending a warning to South Mississippi parents. Katrina Johnson wants every parent to be aware of an app that she says is being used by many students to spread hate. Johnson discovered the posts last week, and she says what she read would make parents cringe.More >>
  • 'Party mansion' owner convicted of tax and healthcare fraud

    'Party mansion' owner convicted of tax and healthcare fraud

    Friday, September 12 2014 12:38 PM EDT2014-09-12 16:38:35 GMT
    File photoFile photo
    A former Raleigh resident, known for the wild parties held at his “party mansion” in North Raleigh, was sentenced to more than 10 years in prison for tax fraud, healthcare fraud and money laundering crimes, according to a United States Department of Justice release.More >>
    A former Raleigh resident, known for the wild parties held at his “party mansion” in North Raleigh, was sentenced to more than 10 years in prison for tax fraud, healthcare fraud and money laundering crimes, according to a United States Department of Justice release.More >>
Powered by WorldNow

208 DeBuys Road
Biloxi, MS 39531
(228) 896-1313

FCC Public File
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WLOX. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.