Carlos Beltran acknowledges the fans during a World Series game in October 2013 (AP)
Carlos Beltran leaps to catch ball
KANSAS CITY, MO (KCTV) -
Reach back into the closet and dust off those Carlos Beltran jerseys. The Kansas City Royals are making a hard push to lure the free agent back to Kauffman Stadium.
Beltran is reportedly at Kauffman meeting the Royals. A picture shared on Instragram reportedly showed the JumboTron at Kauffman offering a greeting to Beltran.
Multiple media outlets are reporting that the Royals have offered the 37-year-old outfielder a 3-year deal worth about $48 million. The Yankees, Mariners and Tigers reportedly have interest in Beltran, but some teams reportedly are looking at just a 2-year deal. The Yankees have keen interest, but ESPN's Buster Olney is reporting that teams believe Beltran will sign with the Royals.
Beltran was drafted by the Royals and came up through the Royals. He was an immensely popular player in part due to his run-catching grabs at the wall. In 2004, the Royals dealt him to the Houston Astros as part of a multiple team blockbuster trade that included Oakland.
The Puerto Rico native also played with the New York Mets and San Francisco Giants. He most recently played for Cardinals. He was in St. Louis for two years.
He waited his entire career to play in a World Series. In Game 1 against the Boston Red Sox, he made a spectacular grab to rob David Ortiz of a grand slam, but injured his ribs. The Cardinals lost in six games.
Beltran wants to play for a contender, which the Royals now are and certainly weren't during his previous tenure.
"I'm a free agent, I've got to listen to everybody," Beltran said after the Cardinals lost the World Series. "I'll make a decision based on the opportunity to play in the postseason, hopefully."
Copyright 2013 KCTV (Meredith Corp.) All rights reserved.
Kansas City Royals woo Carlos Beltran at Kauffman StadiumMore>>
Thursday, July 24 2014 6:54 AM EDT2014-07-24 10:54:20 GMT
On Wednesday, a big break everyone's been waiting for Gulfport police reveal the name of the man accused of the murder of Janaya Thompson. "Today at approximately 2:45 p.m. we charged Alberto JulioMore >>
On Wednesday, a big break everyone's been waiting for Gulfport police reveal the name of the man accused of the murder of Janaya Thompson.More >>
Thursday, July 24 2014 6:54 AM EDT2014-07-24 10:54:15 GMT
A huge fire in Ocean Springs temporarily shut down part of Government Street on Wednesday afternoon as firefighters worked to save the YMCA teen counseling and senior center.More >>
A huge fire in Ocean Springs temporarily shut down part of Government Street on Wednesday afternoon as firefighters worked to save the YMCA teen counseling and senior center. Flames shot through the building, and YMCA officials said they're pretty sure the facility is now a complete loss.More >>
Thursday, July 24 2014 6:54 AM EDT2014-07-24 10:54:19 GMT
Could a school rivalry be what's causing the Harrison County School District to spend thousands of dollars repairing damage?More >>
Could a school rivalry be what's causing the Harrison County School District to spend thousands of dollars repairing damage? Some time in the wee hours of Wednesday morning, school officials said vandals went onto the campus of Harrison Central High School. Superintendent Henry Arledge told WLOX he believes what happened could be connected to vandalism that happened at West Harrison High last year.More >>
Wednesday, July 23 2014 6:11 PM EDT2014-07-23 22:11:37 GMT
man who was arrested last week for burglary is now charged with the capital murder of 5-year-old Janaya Thompson. Alberto Garcia has been in the Harrison County Adult Detention Center since Friday. More >>
Gulfport Police will hold a news conference at 3pm to release new information about the investigation into the murder of 5-year-old Janaya Thompson. WLOX News will live stream the news conference as soon as it starts.More >>