Five children, ranging in age from four to 13, escaped a house filled with Carbon Monoxide in Vicksburg, thanks to a relative..
When we got to the house, where it happened, Monday afternoon, the gas furnace had been removed and was sitting on the front porch. A workman was there apparently installing a new one.
The incident occurred Saturday morning at 239 Dendy Drive, which is in a Vicksburg housing project.
"We don't have any kind of detector," said Vicksburg Fire Chief Charles Atkins. "They need a detector to allow people to know, like a smoke alarm they need to come out of a place like that."
The mother of the five children credits a family member, James Theriot, with helping to save the children. She said two of them had already passed out.
"iIf I hadn't been there, because I am usually at work, I would have came back home to all five of my kids dead," said LaShunda Franklin, the children's mother. "I found one of them in the bathroom on the floor, and my five year old, she is a twin, she just collapsed in my arms. She was just trying to get air."
Atkins says the children were blessed to have been saved from what could have been a fatal incident.