Flaky Pie Pastry
5 oz Cold Unsalted Butter
3 oz Cold Vegetable Shortening
13 ½ oz All-Purpose Flour
2 Tbsp Sugar (optional)
½ tsp Salt
4 fl oz Ice Water
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, and salt and stir to mix. Scatter the butter and shortening pieces over the flour mixture. Using a fork, toss to coat with the flour. Using a pastry blinder or 2 knives, cut in the butter and shortening until the mixture forms course crumbs the size of large peas.
- Drizzle the ice water over the mixture and toss with the fork until the dough is evenly moist and begins to come together in a mass but does not form a ball.
- Combine flour, sugar, and salt.
- Pulse 2 to 3 times to mix.
- Add the butter and shortening pieces and pulse 8-10 times until the mixture forms large, coarse crumbs the size of large peas.
- Add the ice water a little at a time and pulse 10-12 times just until the dough begins to come together in a mass but does not form a ball.
- Combine flour, sugar, and salt with paddle attachment.
- Mix on low speed until blended, about 10 seconds.
- Turn off mixer and add the butter and shortening and then continue to mix on low speed until the mixture forms large, coarse crumbs—about the size of large peas.
- Add the ice water 1 Tbsp at a time, and mix on low speed just until the mixture begins to hold together.
- The dough will form large clumps and pull away from the sides of the bowl, but will not form a ball. To test, stop the mixer and squeeze a small piece of dough; it should hold together.
Chill dough before rolling and shaping. Cut dough into two pieces; one a bit larger than the other for a double crust dough. Roll dough to about a quarter inch thickness and place on top of filled pie. Cut slits to vent. Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes or until filling is bubbling and pie is golden brown.
For blind/pre-baked single crust: roll out dough out chilled dough and put in mold. Freeze dough and bake in a 400 degree oven with foil and pie weights for about 15 minutes. Check to see if it is done and if not, return to oven for two minutes at a time until the foil does not stick. Carefully remove weights and continue baking at 350 until desired doneness is achieved.
Chef Todd Reilly
Culinary Arts Technology
MGCCC Jefferson Davis Campus