Ruth's Creamed Spinach
Ruth's Chris Steak House
Makes 4 Servings
- 1 stick salted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk or half & half
- 2 tbs chopped onion
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 lb fresh spinach, well cleaned and stemmed
- 2 tbs salted soft butter
- salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat until foamy, add flour and stir until light brown in color.
- Add onion and seasonings and then whisk in milk, stirring until the mixture comes to a boil and thickens.
- Reduce the heat and cook for five minutes, then pass through a fine strainer and reserve. The sauce will be very thick.
- Cook spinach immersed in boiling water for one minute. Remove and refresh in iced water to cool it off.
- Squeeze it until it is very dry and then purée it in a food processor. Set aside.
- Just before serving, combine the sauce with the puréed spinach and cook on low heat, stirring often for about 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Finish by stirring in 2 tablespoons of soft butter.
Information Source: Erica Normand