Man enters burning apartment to save family - WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi

Man who tried to save family from fire dies from injuries

VICKSBURG, MS (Mississippi News Now) -

Eddie Rankin the man who went back into a burning apartment in Vicksburg to save his family who had already escaped, has died from his injuries suffered in that fire.  He died Monday morning at 1:17 am at CMMC in Jackson. 

The blaze swept through Rankin's  apartment on Fisher Ferry Road early on October 22. Despite the fire raging in his home, Eddie He ran through the flames blocking his front door fearing his family was inside asleep.

"He rushed in. He jumped about four steps to get in there and she came around the side, and he didn't she got out," said Rankin's neighbor Kiara Wilson.

The 22 year old was seeing her husband off to work when she saw fire coming from Rankin's window across from her apartment. Wilson looked on in horror as the 31 year old ran into his burning Azalea Trace Apartment attempting to save his wife and two children.

Around 4:30 Tuesday morning investigators said Rankin was doing minor repairs to his car before heading to his job when he saw smoke coming from his upstairs apartment. Inside unit B-35 were his 23 year old wife Brittany and children, ages two and five.

When firefighters arrived they eventually found Rankin unconscious in a rear bedroom.

"They went in twice and came back out without him, added Wilson. "They even took off their masks and everything like the job was over and then went back in one last time and they finally got him. And he was still alive after all of that. That was God."

Warren County Sheriff's Deputies were first on the scene.

"They exhausted all the fire extinguishers that they had in their patrol cars and were able to obtain a garden hose from a nearby Knights of Columbus building, but were unable to enter the apartment because of the heat, smoke and flames," said Sheriff Martin Pace.

Investigators said the two year old was injured and is being treated at River Region Medical Center. Officials said the fire started in the living room. It was contained to that one unit and has been ruled accidental.

According to Azalea Trace Apartment residents, this is the second fire since 2011 in building B. Tuesday they said management began distributing fire extinguishers for each apartment.

Copyright 2013 MSNewsNow. All rights reserved.

  • NEWSMore>>

  • Breaking

    Comedian, actor Jerry Lewis dies at 91

    Comedian, actor Jerry Lewis dies at 91

    Sunday, August 20 2017 4:17 PM EDT2017-08-20 20:17:51 GMT

    The aging star worked for more than six decades raising money for the Muscular Dystrophy Association (MDA), most notably through hosting the annual Muscular Dystrophy Association Labor Day Telethon, an event as well-known as any of his movies.

    More >>

    The aging star worked for more than six decades raising money for the Muscular Dystrophy Association (MDA), most notably through hosting the annual Muscular Dystrophy Association Labor Day Telethon, an event as well-known as any of his movies.

    More >>
  • Historic home threatened by development in Mississippi town

    Historic home threatened by development in Mississippi town

    Sunday, August 20 2017 4:06 PM EDT2017-08-20 20:06:09 GMT

    One of two pre-Civil War houses in a Mississippi college town could fall to development.

    More >>

    One of two pre-Civil War houses in a Mississippi college town could fall to development.

    More >>
  • Palmer Creek neighbors told to boil water due to chlorine leak

    Palmer Creek neighbors told to boil water due to chlorine leak

    Sunday, August 20 2017 11:29 AM EDT2017-08-20 15:29:15 GMT
    Cleanup crews return to East Wortham Road to make sure chlorine is no longer leaking from a damaged utility box (Photo Source: WLOX News Now)Cleanup crews return to East Wortham Road to make sure chlorine is no longer leaking from a damaged utility box (Photo Source: WLOX News Now)

    The people who live near Palmer Creek and East Wortham Road in Harrison County are being told to boil water before using it. The warning comes after a deadly Saturday night crash that led to a chlorine cloud covering the area. Hazmat crews returned to Palmer Creek Sunday morning to make sure the utility system damaged in that crash is no longer leaking chlorine. Harrison County's sheriff says a stolen car crashed into the a utility box on E. Wortham Road right before 10:00 p.m.

    More >>

    The people who live near Palmer Creek and East Wortham Road in Harrison County are being told to boil water before using it. The warning comes after a deadly Saturday night crash that led to a chlorine cloud covering the area. Hazmat crews returned to Palmer Creek Sunday morning to make sure the utility system damaged in that crash is no longer leaking chlorine. Harrison County's sheriff says a stolen car crashed into the a utility box on E. Wortham Road right before 10:00 p.m.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly