SOUTH MISSISSIPPI (WLOX) - Help is out there for families struggling financially as we head into the holiday season. The Salvation Army's 2013 Angel Tree Christmas Assistance Program begins next week, and applications will be accepted starting Monday, October 14.
The Angel Tree program aims to give children in need, between the ages of birth to 12years, a Christmas they may not have otherwise.
There is one change in this year's application process that only affects Hancock County residents who have received Christmas Assistance in the past. Those applicants must complete a social services class to apply again this year. (Details below)
Schedule for registration in Harrison, Stone, Jackson and Pearl River counties
October 14-15, 17-18, 21-22, & 24, 25 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM
October 16 & 23 8:00 AM – 7:00 PM
For more information, please call 228-374-8301 Applications will be accepted only on a walk-in basis.
Harrison, Stone, & Pearl River counties Registration Location: The Salvation Army Area Command office - 2019 22nd Street, Gulfport 39501
Jackson County Registration Location: The Salvation Army of Jackson County office at 3217 Nathan Hale Road in Pascagoula
Schedule for registration in George County
Last name beginning with the letters A-L October 16 – 17
Last name beginning with the letters M-Z October 23 – 24
9:00 – 11:30 am / 1:00 pm – 3:00 pm
For more information call 601-766-3577 Applications will be accepted only on a walk-in basis.
George County Registration Location: The Salvation Army Family Store and Social Service Office located at52 Virginia Street, Suite A in Lucedale
Schedule for registration in Hancock County
By appointment only on the following dates:
October 14 – 17, 10 am – 4 pm
October 21 – 24, 10 am – 4 pm
Please call 228-463-8887 for an appointment.
**Registrants in Hancock County who received Christmas Assistance in the past must attend one class below before their angels can go out for adoption.
Parent or legal guardian must apply for their own children and must bring the following documentation:
- Person applying must bring a valid state issued picture identification card.
- Guardianship/Custody Documentation required if you are not listed on the birth certificate
- State Issued Birth Certificates for all children in the home, 0-12 years old, no copies or hospital certificates.
- Certified Proof of ALL Income or NO Income Verification (Employment, DHS, Unemployment)
- Must present notarized statement of any income help from family members
- REQUIRED Verification of SSI/SSA/SSD, SNAP, TANF, Child Support, Alimony
- Proof of Residency, (Utility Bill, Rent/Lease Receipts)
- REQUIRED Proof of ALL Expenses (Household, Vehicles, Medical, Insurance, Furniture rental,etc.)
Those interested in registering for the Angel Tree program but have registered for Christmas assistance with another agency, will not be allowed to register at The Salvation Army.
For more information, please visit www.salvationarmymscoast.org.