Ash fallout seen in Portland area from Gorge wildfire - WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi

Ash fallout seen in Portland area from Gorge wildfire

Melissa from Washougal shared this photo of light ash on her car Thursday morning. Melissa from Washougal shared this photo of light ash on her car Thursday morning.
The Blackburn Fire continues to burn near The Dalles. // Photo: Oregon Department of Forestry Incident Management The Blackburn Fire continues to burn near The Dalles. // Photo: Oregon Department of Forestry Incident Management
PORTLAND, OR (KPTV) -

Don't worry - that's the message from fire officials Wednesday night after people in Oregon towns reported ash fallout from an 11,000-acre wildfire near The Dalles.

Fire spokesman Tom Field said the ash fallout is a common occurrence and deemed to be safe.

He said Parkdale and Odell homeowners reported the ash Wednesday, but many people living in the Portland metro area also reported finding ash on their cars Thursday morning.

Sharon Chinn, who lives in southwest Portland, said she took her dog out Wednesday night and her dog started to sniff the air. Chinn then noticed pieces of ash falling from the sky.

"It reminded me of the ash from Mount St. Helens. Certainly we got more from that ashfall here in the Portland metro area, but it was very similar," Chinn said. "When I woke up this morning, there was a very similar light layer of ash on our vehicles."

Chinn said it looked almost like someone sprinkled baking powder on the windshield of the car.

Several people on Twitter also posted photos of light ash on their cars Thursday.

The ash fallout is expected to discontinue Thursday, but that doesn't mean the wildfire threat is lessening. Firefighters battling the blaze say it's a "crucial day" for slowing the spread, but that weather conditions will make for a challenging day. Four homes and nine outbuildings have been destroyed by the fire so far.

RELATED: Fire crews hope to slow 11,000-acre wildfire on 'crucial day'

Copyright 2013 KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved.

  • NEWSMore>>

  • Congressman Palazzo weighs in on transgender ban

    Congressman Palazzo weighs in on transgender ban

    Thursday, July 27 2017 12:13 PM EDT2017-07-27 16:13:04 GMT
    Photo Credit: WDAMPhoto Credit: WDAM

    Mississippi Congressman Steven Palazzo took to Twitter, throwing his support behind President Donald Trump's proposed ban on transgender people from serving in the military.

    More >>

    Mississippi Congressman Steven Palazzo took to Twitter, throwing his support behind President Donald Trump's proposed ban on transgender people from serving in the military.

    More >>
  • PSC: Kemper story nearing the end

    PSC: Kemper story nearing the end

    Thursday, July 27 2017 11:54 AM EDT2017-07-27 15:54:14 GMT
    The view 240 feet above Mississippi Power's 3,000-acre investment gives you a glimpse at what six years and more than $7.5 billion have produced. (Photo source: WLOX)The view 240 feet above Mississippi Power's 3,000-acre investment gives you a glimpse at what six years and more than $7.5 billion have produced. (Photo source: WLOX)

    Mississippi Public Service Commissioner Cecil Brown spoke Thursday morning at the Neshoba County Fair. And a portion of his remarks focused on the Kemper County lignite plant roughly 30 miles from the fairgrounds. "The Kemper story is not over," the commissioner said, "but one way or another it is nearing the end." Brown used part of his speech to explain the latest developments between his agency and Mississippi Power regarding its $7.5 billion plant.

    More >>

    Mississippi Public Service Commissioner Cecil Brown spoke Thursday morning at the Neshoba County Fair. And a portion of his remarks focused on the Kemper County lignite plant roughly 30 miles from the fairgrounds. "The Kemper story is not over," the commissioner said, "but one way or another it is nearing the end." Brown used part of his speech to explain the latest developments between his agency and Mississippi Power regarding its $7.5 billion plant.

    More >>
  • Gaming commission rejects proposal for Biloxi casino site

    Gaming commission rejects proposal for Biloxi casino site

    Thursday, July 27 2017 11:07 AM EDT2017-07-27 15:07:16 GMT
    Mississippi Gaming Commission (Photo source: WLOX)Mississippi Gaming Commission (Photo source: WLOX)

    The Mississippi Gaming Commission has again rejected a casino site proposal from RW Development.

    More >>

    The Mississippi Gaming Commission has again rejected a casino site proposal from RW Development.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly