Fire burns a family's home in Gulfport - WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi

Fire burns a family's home in Gulfport

GULFPORT, MS (WLOX) -

A family of four is without a home after a fire took over it Tuesday afternoon. The home is located at the 400 block of Stevens Circle off of Dedeaux Road in Gulfport.

Gulfport Fire Department's District Chief Hank Levins said an investigation revealed that the fire was started by an accidental electrical shortage in the attic.

He said that shortage could have been caused by multiple factors. Levins said no one was home at the time of the fire.

"The house is pretty much destroyed. The damage is extensive. They definitely can't go back into their home," Levins said.

Levins said the Robins family was out of the home during the time of the fire.

"I believe the mom had just taken her two children to ROTC training and the father was at work," Levins said.

The lack of working fire hydrants near the home made it difficult for Gulfport firefighters to put out the fire.  So firefighters had to go a few blocks down the road to a working fire hydrant and put the water into their truck. They brought the water back to the scene and dumped it into a dry drop tank that looks similar to a pool made out of tarp. At this point the flames were going through the roof.

"We believe they have made accommodations and the family has contacted their insurance company. They do have homeowner's insurance," Levins said.

A neighbor told WLOX Reporter Michelle Lady, that another neighbor ran into the home during the fire to make sure no one was home.

The district fire chief said the fire happened at the hottest part of the day. The heat index during the time of the fire was 108 degrees Fahrenheit.

No injuries were reported.

Copyright 2013 WLOX All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly