Nissan making important announcement Tuesday at Canton plant - WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi

Nissan announces new supplier park; 800+ new jobs

MADISON COUNTY, MS (Mississippi News Now) -

Nissan is expanding it's Canton assembly plant and adding more than 800 jobs. Governor Phil Bryant joined Nissan employees Tuesday to break ground on a new supplier park.

This is expected to create 400 new supplier jobs plus 400 new Nissan employees that have already been hired since June 1 in anticipation of the project.

An integrated logistics center will relocated at the north end of Nissan's campus and is more than one million square feet in size. Additional infrastructure improvements will also be make to the current supplier logistics center building at the sound end of the campus.

For a decade, Nissan has been a loyal corporate partner and has created thousands of jobs for Mississippians," Gov. Bryant said. "The addition of the new supplier park will bring more manufacturing jobs to Mississippi and serves to strengthen our growing automotive sector. I am grateful to Nissan for demonstrating to the world that ‘Mississippi Works.' Great things are taking place in our state, and I wish Nissan many more years of growth and success in Canton.

Nissan announced earlier it will start making the Murano sports utility vehicle at Canton in 2014. They have already expanded the Canton plant to make the Sentra, which had previously been made in Mexico.   

Those lines are in addition to the popular Altima, the Exterra sports utility vehicle, the Armada sports utility vehicle and the Titan full size pick up truck.  

"With the new design they are coming out with, it's gonna help improve Murano sales greatly," said Gray Daniels Nissan North Sales Manager Malone Hughes.

"Sixty-five per cent of our deals come from Nissan," added Hughes. "So with that in mind you can see the great economic impact it has in this area."

Nissan has already invested more than two billion dollars in Mississippi, with its Madison County plant. It was originally designed to produce up to 400,000 vehicles annually.

Copyright 2013 MSNewsNow. All rights reserved.

  • NEWSMore>>

  • Jackson Co. man charged with child's death appears in court

    Jackson Co. man charged with child's death appears in court

    Thursday, February 22 2018 1:00 PM EST2018-02-22 18:00:32 GMT
    A man accused of killing his girlfriend's 7-month-old son made his first court appearance Thursday. Michael Harris, 27, is charged with capital murder.  (Photo source: WLOX)A man accused of killing his girlfriend's 7-month-old son made his first court appearance Thursday. Michael Harris, 27, is charged with capital murder. (Photo source: WLOX)
    A man accused of killing his girlfriend's 7-month-old son made his first court appearance Thursday. Michael Harris, 27, is charged with capital murder.  (Photo source: WLOX)A man accused of killing his girlfriend's 7-month-old son made his first court appearance Thursday. Michael Harris, 27, is charged with capital murder. (Photo source: WLOX)

    A man accused of killing his girlfriend's 7-month-old son made his first court appearance Thursday. Michael Harris, 27, was charged with capital murder Thursday after Tanner Cowart died at USA Medical Center in Mobile.

    More >>

    A man accused of killing his girlfriend's 7-month-old son made his first court appearance Thursday. Michael Harris, 27, was charged with capital murder Thursday after Tanner Cowart died at USA Medical Center in Mobile.

    More >>
  • Stone Middle School student charged with cyberstalking

    Stone Middle School student charged with cyberstalking

    Thursday, February 22 2018 11:17 AM EST2018-02-22 16:17:12 GMT

    A 15-year-old student at Stone Middle School will be charged with cyberstalking in connection with a threat on social media. And the district attorney is considering whether to charge him as an adult. 

    More >>

    A 15-year-old student at Stone Middle School will be charged with cyberstalking in connection with a threat on social media. And the district attorney is considering whether to charge him as an adult. 

    More >>
  • Hancock County officials investigating middle school threat

    Hancock County officials investigating middle school threat

    Thursday, February 22 2018 11:16 AM EST2018-02-22 16:16:03 GMT
    School leaders in Hancock County say they've identified the student who made the threat, taken the child into custody for questioning and say no weapon was ever found.  (Photo source: WLOX)School leaders in Hancock County say they've identified the student who made the threat, taken the child into custody for questioning and say no weapon was ever found.  (Photo source: WLOX)

    School leaders in Hancock County are investigating a threat of a school shooting at Hancock Middle School. So far they've identified the student who made the threat, taken the child into custody for questioning and say no weapon was ever found. 

    More >>

    School leaders in Hancock County are investigating a threat of a school shooting at Hancock Middle School. So far they've identified the student who made the threat, taken the child into custody for questioning and say no weapon was ever found. 

    More >>
Powered by Frankly