Not guilty plea entered for suspected kidnapper Ariel Castro - WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi

Not guilty plea entered for suspected kidnapper Ariel Castro

Posted: Updated:
Ariel Castro ordered to look at judge during Wednesday's court hearing Ariel Castro ordered to look at judge during Wednesday's court hearing
CLEVELAND, OH (WOIO) -

The Cleveland man suspected of kidnapping three women and holding them captive for years inside his west side home was arraigned on hundreds of new charges Wednesday.

As in past court appearances, Ariel Castro entered the courtroom with his head lowered and avoided eye contact. But on Wednesday, the judge ordered Castro to lift his head and look at her while she reviewed a summary of the new charges. Castro did as he was told.

Defense attorneys then entered a not guilty plea to the 977-count indictment filed against Castro last week.

The new indictment covers the entire time period from August 2002, when the first of the three women disappeared, until May of this year. The original indictment covered only the first four and a half years of the women's captivity.

The charges include aggravated murder stemming from the death of an unborn child of one of the women. That victim says Castro forced her to lose multiple babies after she got pregnant.

Last Thursday, a County Prosecutor Committee met to discuss whether Castro should get the death penalty. That still remains an option.

Castro is accused of holding Amanda Berry, Michelle Knight and Gina DeJesus captive in his Seymour Avenue house for years before they were rescued on May 6.

Berry gave birth to his daughter while in captivity.

Castro's bond remains at $8M and he is to avoid contact with the victims.

Copyright 2013 WOIO. All rights reserved.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Prostitution sting nets 31 arrests

    Prostitution sting nets 31 arrests

    Tuesday, April 20 2010 11:21 PM EDT2010-04-21 03:21:00 GMT
    31 people are in trouble with the law after a three day prostitution sting in Richmond. Police told NBC12 they targeted specific areas where residents and business owners complained about the illegal activity.More >>
  • Two injured Omega Protein plant workers speak out

    Two injured Omega Protein plant workers speak out

    Thursday, July 31 2014 6:54 AM EDT2014-07-31 10:54:16 GMT
    Two of the men injured in the Omega Protein explosion on Monday are speaking out about the deadly blast. In an exclusive interview with WLOX, the men describe what happened, and how they survived.More >>
    Two of the men injured in the Omega Protein explosion on Monday are speaking out about the deadly blast. In an exclusive interview with WLOX News, the men describe what happened that day, and how they survived.More >>
  • Hundreds of mourners celebrate life of Ja-Naya Thompson

    Hundreds of mourners celebrate life of Ja-Naya Thompson

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 6:54 AM EDT2014-07-23 10:54:08 GMT
    As Ja-Naya Thompson's short life was celebrated, there were a lot of tears and hugs as hundreds of people paid their respects during the visitation and the funeral service.More >>
    As Ja-Naya Thompson's short life was celebrated, there were a lot of tears and hugs as hundreds of people paid their respects during the visitation and the funeral service. People told me they went to Shiloh Missionary Baptist Church for two reasons, to mourn the loss of five year old Ja-Naya and to show support to the parents who must now face life without their beloved child.More >>
Powered by WorldNow

208 DeBuys Road
Biloxi, MS 39531
(228) 896-1313

FCC Public File
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WLOX. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.