Carpenter 1 fire at 45 percent containment - WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi

Carpenter 1 fire at 45 percent containment

Posted: Updated:
A large plume of smoke from the Carpenter 1 wildfire rises over the Las Vegas Strip on July 10, 2013. (Source: Daryl Walls) A large plume of smoke from the Carpenter 1 wildfire rises over the Las Vegas Strip on July 10, 2013. (Source: Daryl Walls)
Flames from the Carpenter 1 wildfire engulf brush in the Spring Mountains. (Source: Inciweb.org) Flames from the Carpenter 1 wildfire engulf brush in the Spring Mountains. (Source: Inciweb.org)
Flames from the Carpenter 1 wildfire approach a road near Mt. Charleston on July 9, 2013. (Source: inciweb.org) Flames from the Carpenter 1 wildfire approach a road near Mt. Charleston on July 9, 2013. (Source: inciweb.org)
MT. CHARLESTON, NV (FOX5) -

There are hopeful signs concerning the Carpenter 1 fire on Mount Charleston heading into the weekend. 

A lightning strike started the blaze in the Carpenter Canyon area on the western side of the mountain July 1.

Currently, the fire has spread to 27,881 acres, roughly 43 square miles.

The blaze is 45 percent contained, according to officials.

More than 1,300 people are battling the blaze, according to inciweb.org, a website used to provide information about the fire.

Since the blaze started, more than 500 residents have been evacuated from Kyle, Lee and Trout canyons. Residents were being allowed inside the evacuation zone with an escort.

There are two shelters set up to assist evacuees, one at Hafen Elementary School in Pahrump, and the other at James Bilbray Elementary School in Las Vegas. The Southern Nevada chapter of the American Red Cross said they need donations to help fund their relief efforts.

So far, $13.16 million has been spent in an effort to contain the blaze.

Officials have closed the Spring Mountain Recreation Area. Several roads are also closed, including Lovell Canyon, Trout Canyon, Lovell Summit, Carpenter Canyon and Wallace Canyon roads at Highway 160. The Bristlecone, South Loop, North Loop and Griffith Park trails have also been closed.

Officials reopened Scenic Loop Drive on Thursday, but kept hiking trails off the roadway closed.

Officials said Monday they expect to have the fire contained by July 19.

A fire information hotline has been set up at 702-799-4610.

Copyright 2013 KVVU (KVVU Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Huge alligator snapping turtle set free

    Huge alligator snapping turtle set free

    Tuesday, April 15 2014 12:27 PM EDT2014-04-15 16:27:58 GMT
    There is good news for an alligator snapping turtle that was rescued from a drainage ditch a week ago. "Snappy," as the rescuers referred to the reptile, has been set free.More >>
    There is good news for an alligator snapping turtle that was rescued from a drainage ditch a week ago. "Snappy," as the rescuers referred to the reptile, has been set free.More >>
  • Fishermen say impacts still linger from BP oil spill

    Fishermen say impacts still linger from BP oil spill

    Thursday, April 17 2014 6:52 PM EDT2014-04-17 22:52:06 GMT
    Against a backdrop of shrimp boats, Vietnamese fishermen held message boards, along with pictures of dead dolphins, turtles and tar balls. Four years later, the impact of the oil spill remains.More >>
    Against a back drop of shrimp boats, Vietnamese fishermen held signs with pictures of dead dolphins and sea turtles this morning. They were at the fishing dock on Biloxi Back Bay to join advocacy groups in a news conference talking about the impacts of the BP oil spill four years later.More >>
  • Affidavit: Diary detailed cop's relationship with teen

    Affidavit: Diary detailed cop's relationship with teen

    Thursday, April 10 2014 6:53 AM EDT2014-04-10 10:53:05 GMT
    A Harrison County affidavit WLOX obtained said a young girl's diary detailed the relationship between former officer Patrick Klis and a 15-year-old girl. WLOX also found online pictures of Klis and a young girl.More >>
    WLOX News has uncovered new details about what led investigators to arrest a Long Beach Police officer for three counts of sexual battery involving a minor. A Harrison County affidavit WLOX obtained said a young girl's diary detailed the relationship between former officer Patrick Klis and a 15-year-old girl. WLOX also found online pictures of Klis and a young girl.More >>
Powered by WorldNow

208 DeBuys Road
Biloxi, MS 39531
(228) 896-1313

FCC Public File
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WLOX. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.